Tyres for the wet

SimonSteer
SimonSteer Posts: 45
edited April 2009 in Road beginners
I have never been out on the bike in anything other than light drizzle, or a short shower. I have the standard tyres for my Allez, Specialized Mondos, which are slick. I'm entering a sportive in a couple of weeks, and was thinking....if it rains, will these be OK? Should i get a set of something like treaded tyres. The Conti GP 4000 for example or Gatorskins

Thanks

Comments

• balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    edited April 2009
    Tread pattern serves no purpose for road bikes; slick is ideal, dry and wet. Given that, if your tyres are in good condition now, then they'll no doubt be fine for the ride you have planned. The others you mention are popular here. I've been lucky this time with some Specialized Roubaix tyres for a couple of thousand miles without punctures, but I suspect a large random component in these matters.

Using 25 mm rather than 23 mm tyres makes a nice difference to comfort on longer rides, though.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    on bikes you can't aqua plane, which what tread on cars is for, on bikes tread for road bikes is for marketing and or light park use.

for road grip you want the softest rubber and widest tire,

personaly i'd just stick with what you've got unless there is any reason to think they will be like bambi on ice?
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    If it's wet, don't pump your tyres 'rock hard' drop them down 10psi or so - the softer tyre has a bigger footprint and therefore grip. A 25mm tyre has a fatter carcass and so can be run at a lower pressure without risk of an impact puncture.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Thanks guys.
    Great, useful responses
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    Another option Si, would be to use a wet weather tyre at the front and a standard tyre at the rear - for example - Pro 3 Grip or Open Pave at the front.

http://www.parker-international.co.uk/1 ... -Grip.html
  • fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    Also, I found tubulars to grip better than clinchers in corners (given similar compounds), and you can get open tubulars which IIRC, should fit a clincher type rim.
  • acorn_user
    acorn_user Posts: 1,137
    You could try a Vittoria Pave tyre. I've also found that Challenge Criteriums work well in the wet; they have a supple casing and a nice round form rather than high tech rubber compounds.
  • dazzawazza
    dazzawazza Posts: 462
    If you have the standard Specialized Mondos I'd be more worried about punctures. :shock:
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Open Paves.

When I start working and can afford them, they'll be on my good bike all year round.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Never had a puncture on my Mondos
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    Conti GP4000 and Gatorskins are good tyres IMHO but as has previously been stated you're not going to aquaplane on any bike tyre, so the tread issue is not an issue.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    SimonSteer wrote:
    Never had a puncture on my Mondos

Ditto Mondo Pro. I rear was worn to carcass. (hope the Pro 3's I've just ordered are as good).

I hsve ridden my Allez Elite with Mondo Pro tyres in all weathers (including really icy) and never had a problem. Never used any other tyre, but I would be happy to recommend them.
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com