Expensive Bike Tops ?

cougie
cougie Posts: 22,512
edited April 2009 in Road buying advice
OK - I'm used to pricey jackets - well they do lots of things dont they.
Assos were pricey and Rapha - well because they can be.

Now it seems that everyones in on it - and the going prices are going into the stratosphere.

Cervelo test team top £80
Pearl Izumi top £80
Campag 11 speed top in the comc today £135

Most keen riders will have a fair few jerseys - are these expensive ones cashing in on gullibility - or are they really worth their prices ?

Comments

• Tony Mc
    Tony Mc Posts: 180
    I'm at the other end of the spectrum DHB tops from wiggle or any sale items cheap as chips and do the job for me save the money for other things like keeping the missus happy so I can get out on the bike

I'd rather hunt out a bargin to be honest shirley its not what you wear but whats in it that counts
    Getting there
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Assos tops are expensive for a reason - they are worth it! I am not sure what excuse other makes have :D
  • Tony Mc
    Assos tops are expensive for a reason - they are worth it! I am not sure what excuse other makes have :D

How ?

:? :lol:
    Getting there
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Its all new kit though isn't it ? - buy last years - I ve just ordered a CSC winter jacket £30
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    C'mon - a few years ago Assos tops were £50 and in the last few years have gone stratospheric, more than doubling in price. I can justify more expensive shorts, but the functional advantage of a jersey - particularly as it's just a fancy billboard in many cases. I think a few people are suffering from brand blindness and the makers are cashing in on the perceived brand 'value' by cranking up their prices.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Prendas has got lots of team kit at really affordable prices.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • SunWuKong
    SunWuKong Posts: 364
    I'm with Monty, expensive shorts generally are much better but not convinced the same is true with jerseys. However, they will sell them at the best price people are prepared to pay.
  • chriskempton
    chriskempton Posts: 1,245
    I agree expensive tops are cack value. Don't begrudge £70 on really good shorts, but I'll never spend anything like that on a jersey. I got new short sleeve Assos and Castelli jerseys for £25 and £20 off ebay in the winter - that's more like it....
  • Tony Mc
    Monty Dog wrote:
    C'mon - a few years ago Assos tops were £50 and in the last few years have gone stratospheric, more than doubling in price. I can justify more expensive shorts, but the functional advantage of a jersey - particularly as it's just a fancy billboard in many cases. I think a few people are suffering from brand blindness and the makers are cashing in on the perceived brand 'value' by cranking up their prices.

Just the same as Football tops... just marketing ploy
    Getting there
  • DaSy
    DaSy Posts: 599
    This is the same old argument, the same applies to jeans, t-shirts, shoes, suits, cars etc.

If you want something that is a bit exclusive and you see value in the brand and what it says to you, then it is money well spent.

If on the other hand, you want your clothing to be purely functional, then co-op jeans and trainers from Asda will do the job.

We all see value in different things, it's best to focus on what you see as important and not worry too much on what others are spending their money on
    Complicating matters since 1965
  • Shezzer
    Shezzer Posts: 229
    edited April 2009
    kingrollo wrote:
    Its all new kit though isn't it ? - buy last years - I ve just ordered a CSC winter jacket £30

That's a great price!! Where did you get it from?
  • GyatsoLa
    GyatsoLa Posts: 667
    I think one of the problems is that all the manufacturers saw the success of Assos and said 'I want a bit of that', and so brought out premium ranges - so Assos used the excuse to push up the price in order to keep the 'we are the Rolls Royce of bike kit' aura. Its price competition in reverse - the sort of thing that Economics textbooks never mention because if they did they'd have to admit that most economic theory is nonsense (sorry, off topic there).

For what its worth, I think the premium brands are distinctly better than the regular ones - better fitting, more comfortable, more long lasting, better breathability. Whether you think its worth the extra, thats a personal choice. I was recently on a month long tour, I had one bike top, a Gore one (actually bought very cheap, in a clearout sale). Despite daily use and abuse it worked very well and is still looking good - from experience, a cheap one would be in tatters by now.

BTW, for those who think £100 is an insane price for a top, perhaps they'd better go shopping sometime with a vaguely fashion conscious woman with a credit card. You will find that in some quarters, thats considered very cheap!
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Tony Mc wrote:

How ?

:? :lol:

Quality - Fit - last years, wash after wash after wash.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Tony Mc wrote:

Just the same as Football tops... just marketing ploy

But football tops have been £30-40 for adult sizes the past 15-20 years, and haven't really increased in cost.

You then have the ability to buy last seasons England shirts for less than £5 if you go to one of the Sportsworld jumble sale shops! Most of Jnrs t-shirts for messing about in are football shirts from Sportsworld, he loves them and has them for teams all over the world and we probably pay £8 max!

The same cannot be said for last seasons cycling jerseys in kids sizes - and he desperately wants one.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    "I'd rather hunt out a bargin to be honest shirley its not what you wear but whats in it that counts"

Stop calling him Shirley

It's up to him what he chooses to wear. Pink gingham might suit him
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Shezzer wrote:
    kingrollo wrote:

That's a great price!! Where did you get it from?

ebay - new from a shop though - pm me if you want more info !
  • cougie
    I've just realised that I'm still wearing a Castelli LS Parkpre top that must be 14 years old.
    It wasnt anywhere near the silly Assos prices though and its lasted just fine, and apart from where I've caught it on a bush - its perfect.

I dont mind paying a premium for quality, but they really are taking the pee now.

Campag 11 speed in particular. Not that I can get that one cos I ride Shimano.... ;-)

Shorts I can kinda see WHY they should be more pricey, but tops ? There is no way you can justify £130 on a few pieces of lycra. Profit margin must be massive !
  • I concur with the view that money on shorts is well spent, up to a point. I've had some truly cack shorts in the past and have generally found the rule of thumb to be that you get what you pay for. My current collection are a £70 pair of Etxeondo, a pair of Pearl Izumi, a pair of Looks Pro Team range (my favourite at the min) and some old club ones. The club ones were always garbage. New Giordona kit coming next week though so we'll see about that!

A Jersey is a jersey. I have a PI one with an MP3 pocket and a hole for headphones but thats the limit of the innovations. Although the 15 year old Carerra jersey that's made out of bandages or summat has been surpassed as far as materials go.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • I completely agree with everyone else about them being overly expensive...

I do like this however for some reason... :oops:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=28012
    http://www.KOWONO.com - Design-Led home furniture and accessories.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Monty Dog wrote:

+1, all my shorts are Assos, but all my jerseys are pretty cheap, most below £15 when on Sale (apart from a Castelli jersey which I suppose was relatively cheap @ £40)

Shorts + Decent winter jacket are definitely worth it, jerseys just need to have decent pockets really.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • cougie
    I'll wager the campag tops will be half price by the end of the summer. Just cant see the value in them.
  • eh
    eh Posts: 4,854
    I can't understand top prices either especially as one from any of the big brands tend to last years, unless you crash it or can't use a washing machine.

Quite pleased fluro seems to be back in fashion (at least at Topman anyway), I can start wearing my Marin 1990 team issue top again :D

My one tip on cycling clothes is to avoid anything by Nike or Adidas, neither seem to make particularly good quality/value kit.
  • Philip S
    Philip S Posts: 398
    I've got a load of Campag tops - most of them good and cheap in the sale.

However, I can't see the harm in treating yourself if you fancy blowing £100 on a jersey. At that price they'll probably last for years (so buy a classic design, and not one that will date). Like's been said above, I've seen well over £100 spent on a pair of ladies shoes that must get perhaps one wear a year, so no reason to feel guilty blowing that cash on something that you're going to use regularly...
  • cougie
    i wouldnt feel guilty about blowing £100 on a jersey.

I would feel that I was being ripped off though - prices of most things are dropping - i found a comic from the 80s in my collection the other day - and things were really pricey back then.

If my £30 Castelli top has lasted 14 years - why should I pay 5 times that for a top ? Will it last 5x as long ? And how tw@tty is it to ride around with '11 Speed' on anyway ? Would be crap on my fixie or MTB. And for that reason - I'm out...
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    cougie wrote:
    OK - I'm used to pricey jackets - well they do lots of things dont they.
    Assos were pricey and Rapha - well because they can be.

Now it seems that everyones in on it - and the going prices are going into the stratosphere.

Cervelo test team top £80
    Pearl Izumi top £80
    Campag 11 speed top in the comc today £135

Most keen riders will have a fair few jerseys - are these expensive ones cashing in on gullibility - or are they really worth their prices ?
    I think the prices are just bloody rediculous, About 5 years ago i bought 4 cycling shirts from the Lidl, here in the Netherlands at €9.99 each. At the time about 7 quid apiece. I,ve worn them through summer and winter and they are still going strong, no flashy advertising, just simple colours and they fit well.. I also have a PBK Skinsuit which i wear when it,s really warm. However, it,s no more comfy and doesn,t make me go any faster than my Lidl shirts, i,ve had it for one year and the colour is already fading, even worse it cost more than all my Lidl shirts put together and then some.How these manufacturers can justify 50 quid or more for a shirt is beyond me. I know that Cycling clubs have there clubwear designed and made to order and a shirt cost €25 and shorts€30. They look good too. Thats here in the Netherlands. Looking at the prices quoted above, the jokes on us. :?
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    cycling - it's the new golf - expect prices to continue to rise - especially in the top end brands - assos, castelli, rapha etc.

as said - there are always DHB and such like to satisfy the lower price band market.
  • DomPro
    DomPro Posts: 321
    On the plus side, golf stuff is now really cheap.
    Shazam !!
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    DomPro wrote:
    On the plus side, golf stuff is now really cheap.

I beg to differ - there are more brands making cheaper golf gear - but the old favourites are still expensive!
  • cougie
    I did buy somw DHB 3/4s the other week - they seem as well made as my Assos shorts, and to me - are comfier. Assos pad was huuuuge.
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    Specailized do good jerseys at low prices.Cannondale cheapos are sh#t, really bad zips.
    You pays your money and you takes your choice.
    Smarter than the average bear.