Help me spend £1500

Ackie
Ackie Posts: 22
edited April 2009 in Road beginners
Hi
First post here. So hello!

I have a 5yr old Specialized Allez double Comp which I have almost run into the ground by regularly commuting 120miles per week on, and am now looking to upgrade.

Could anyone recommend the next step up as I've been out the loop on whats hot and whats not?

My requirements

1a) Something fast and more aggressive as I find the Allez's riding position a bit 'safe'.
1b) Good to do a century on.
2) Double chaninset.
3) Approx £1500
4) Bike to based around a good frame. I am happy to go with a cheaper groupset.
5) Ability to get properly sized up. I am fed up of buying mailorder bikes taht are a bargain but don't fit me.
6) Specialized Tarmac and the Condor Leggero float my boat....

Cheers

Ackie

Comments

• alp777
    alp777 Posts: 211
    Buy the latest Cycling + mag, they have their bike of the year in it and give a brief review of around 30 bikes at your price point.
  • hamstrich
    hamstrich Posts: 112
    Ribble's own-brand bikes are definitely worth considering - they use some very good carbon frames made by the Italian company Dedacciai, and are brillaint value for money. I just got myself a Ribble Nero Corsa with full Ultegra for £1100. I think there's a good review of this somewhere on this site...

Also have a look at Planet X - excellent value for money too, although the frames aren't to everyone's taste (I have heard them being likened to a BMX...)

Happy hunting!
    Rich
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    One bike shamefully not included in the Cycling+ test(perhaps its because they don't advertise in there) is the 09 Orbea Onix. I have an 07 model and its a fabulous ride so the 09 with its good looks should be even better. Good customer service backup as well.
  • Mister W
    Mister W Posts: 791
    Get yourself to Epic Cycles and talk to Chris. Tell him your budget and what you're intending to use the bike for then let him do the rest. I can pretty much guarantee he'll sort you out with something that will fit you and you'll love riding.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    +1 for Epic

+1 for Orbea

Get yourself to Epic and you could end up with one anyway

I'm still wading through the C+ bike of the year article. My bike's not in there either!
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    I like the wilier range - esp the iozard - just over £1500 - may become cheaper later in the summer though.

KUOTA khazmin - looks a lot of bike for £1200 - Ribble Racing sportive - looks the bargain of the lot starting at £900 - Dolan Mythos is another nice looking bike - there is also a nice viner going for about £1200
  • Manaru
    Manaru Posts: 18
    Get a focus
  • Ackie wrote:
    Hi
    First post here. So hello!

I have a 5yr old Specialized Allez double Comp which I have almost run into the ground by regularly commuting 120miles per week on, and am now looking to upgrade.

Ackie

Hello Ackie welcome to the site,How many miles have you done on your Allez?
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    Manaru wrote:
    Get a focus

There's a 7 day test ride on it so if your worried about mail order then that shouldn't concern you in this case. If you don't like then just email them and they will get the bike picked up.

Bro just got one of these and loves it. He's been out on it nearly every day since it arrived last Monday and that's more riding than he's done in the previous 6 months.
  • Ackie
    Ackie Posts: 22

Hello Ackie welcome to the site,How many miles have you done on your Allez?

Commuting about 120 per week. I've never ridden over 50 on a weekend ride, but it is something I intend to start doing as well as centuries. Why do you ask?