Giant TCR Advanced 1

COVEC
COVEC Posts: 213
edited April 2009 in Road buying advice
Hi,

I am thinking about getting a new bike and have a hankering for the 2009 TCR Adv 1, you can see the bike and the specification HERE

How good value do you think it is??
Could I do better for the same cash (£2450)??
Any owners care to comment on how they are getting on with one?
Would the integrated bottom bracket make swapping to a compact difficult?

Cheers
COVEC

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    It's all good...

You'll get many many different suggestions with a lot of people suggesting whatever bike they have got.

There are no bad bikes at this price point, Giant are the biggest manufacturer of bikes in the world and their Carbon Fibre factory in Taiwan is reputedly one of the finest in the world, it is used by many other manufacturers.

You will always get a good deal on last year's models but if you want a current model, you could do a hell of a lot worse!

At this price, with similar spec, it virtually comes down to aesthetic preference!
  • I have a TCR Advanced 3 and have been seriously impressed with the frame thus far. I have upgraded to 7800 Dura Ace but am running an Ultegra SL compact. No issues with the compact at all, but obviously it is a Shimano crank.

Highly recommended. Where in the country are you? Can organise a demo bike if you are near me!
    TCR Advanced has just won bike of the year in Cycling Plus too.

Cheers

Ed
  • incog24
    incog24 Posts: 549
    I've got an Advanced 3 too, and its brilliant. So much so that I've written it off and I'm getting another one! I've ridden one with Dura-ace and ksyrium premiums and that was great, but the frame definitely makes this bike. Its great value for money compared to last year too. Last year the frame was 2000...Again, if you let me know where you live I could arrange a test ride too...
    Racing for Fluid Fin Race Team in 2012 - www.fluidfin.co.uk
  • HonestAl
    HonestAl Posts: 406
    I've got a new TCR Advanced 2. I was going to get a 1 but I was told it was going to be a while before the 1's were available. It's great, in truth a far better bike than my capability probably justifies, but it's brilliant. Sadly I've got no experience of anything similar against which to compare it, but I'd say if you can afford it, get the money spent, I can't imagine you'll regret it. :)
    The actual comparison I CAN make is between the SRAM kit on my other bike and the Ultegra on the Advanced 2. I've gotta say that I'm happier with the Ultegra, but that's largely due to the finnicky setup on the SRAM front derailleur, but that's just a matter of personal preference.
    Buy one :)
    "The only absolute statement is that everything is relative" - anon
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    The Giant TCRs always do well review wise, great frame in all respects. Go for it, you won't regret it.
  • Well, we really did like the Advanced 3!
    Rob Spedding, Editor, Cycling Plus
  • COVEC
    COVEC Posts: 213
    Cheers Guys

Woo Hoo :D:D Looks like I will be ordering up some new bike schwag 8) 8)

COVEC
  • COVEC - just an idea, but you can buy some sizes of the 2007 TCR Advanced frames for under £900 these days. Setting aside the likely small performance gains (comparing the '09 vs '07 frame) then that would leave you £1550 for wheels, groupset, etc. Might be worth considering....
  • giant_man
    Or buy the 09 TCR Advanced frame and build it up yourself, that's what I would do. Then you have a choice of componentry.
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    Or buy the 09 TCR Advanced frame and build it up yourself, that's what I would do. Then you have a choice of componentry.

this is what I would do to - it won't be the cheapest method - but you will get exactly what you want and the components that help the manufacturere reach a comptitive price point!

This way you can go your own way with groupset and wheels but also pick a saddle and bar/stem combo that you like and that fits you - no need for upgrades later on. (although you will probably find a reason for a couple of them too!)
  • gkerr4 wrote:
    this is what I would do to - it won't be the cheapest method - but you will get exactly what you want and the components that help the manufacturere reach a comptitive price point!

[Off topic] What is it with the increasingly frequent use of the term "price point" these days? What's wrong with simply saying "price". Am I missing something? Where's Soapbox when you need it.... [/Off topic]

Having said that, I agree completely with gkerr4. There's a fair chance if you buy a whole bike that the stem, saddle, seatpost and other components will end up getting swapped or upgraded in the short to medium term.
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    gkerr4 wrote:

[Off topic] What is it with the increasingly frequent use of the term "price point" these days? What's wrong with simply saying "price". Am I missing something? Where's Soapbox when you need it.... [/Off topic]

Having said that, I agree completely with gkerr4. There's a fair chance if you buy a whole bike that the stem, saddle, seatpost and other components will end up getting swapped or upgraded in the short to medium term.

I'm no marketing man - but there seem to be "price points" where bikes are competitive - the most notable is the £999 'point' so manufacturers clamor to make the 'best' bike at that point - again at £1200, £1500 and £2000 I think.
  • gkerr4 wrote:
    I'm no marketing man - but there seem to be "price points" where bikes are competitive - the most notable is the £999 'point' so manufacturers clamor to make the 'best' bike at that point - again at £1200, £1500 and £2000 I think.

Hmmm - interesting. Thanks for the explanation. I suppose it makes sense if people work to fixed budgets, so the "points" become relevant. Obviously, I'm no marketing man either. :oops:
  • giant_man
    It's funny how different markets get different colours for the same model of Advanced or SL Advanced. Australia get the Advanced 1 in a lovely composite/green colour whereas our one seems to come in a dull grey/silver. The frame only in the UK is in composite/red. All very strange.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I wonder if its to reduce selling across borders ?