Newfangled pump - am I missing something obvious

hellnick
hellnick Posts: 4
edited April 2009 in MTB beginners
Hello all. I've just bought a new bike and headed off to the shops this morning to buy some accessories. One of the accessories was a new pump - a Topeak mini G masterblaster.

The pump comes with some kind of locking device and I am guessing that you push the pump outlet on to the valve and raise the lock handle to the lock position - I would assume that locks the pump to the valve, but it doesn't happen. The valve is a Schrader... I think - looks like a car tyre valve.

Unfortunately the instructions on the back of the box have been covered over by a dirty great security sticker and there are no instruction sheets on Topeak's website.

The tyres are now pumped as I managed to find an old style pump at the back of the garage but I would really like to take my cool little pump with me.

Am I missing a part or just missing the intelligence to work out something so simple? The only thing in the box was the bit to attach it to the frame - the pump itself was secured to the outside of the box with plastic ties.

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Comments

• PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    is the pump set up for presta, even though your valve is schraeder? the bits in the head of the pump usually can be reversed to fit one or other.

PBo
  • hellnick
    hellnick Posts: 4
    ... sorry.

I was worried about messing around with it as I didn't want to end up with an explosion of springs and grommets. However, an obvious extension of my previous google search yielded an instruction video showing how simple it is to change the head - here it is for other people who assume simple things are more complicated than they actually are:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46VAsFHf4kA

Thanks for the advice that helped my search.

n
  • thekickingmule
    thekickingmule Posts: 7,957
    When you put the pump on the valve, do you have the lever up (forming a 'T' shape?) or down (in a more '7') shape?
    With my pump (though mine is a Blackburn) you have the lever down, put it on the valve, then pull the lever out, this locks on. Took me a while to work this out as I expected it to be the other way round.
    It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
    Join us on UK-MTB we won't bite, but bring cake!
    Blender Cube AMS Pro