Bottoming out?

landranger
landranger Posts: 220
edited April 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi all,

Today while blasting through a couple of big dips, I noticed a tyre rubbing sound on what I can only pressume is my frame? It was only brief, as I compressed at the bottom of the dip. I can't see any marks.

I have an EX8 09 and have my rear shock pumped up for my weight so my questions are these:
Where could my tyre of rubbed ie the seat stay arch or the bottom brackety bit?
Does that mean I should add more air to my shock?
Does this happen often to others and I'm worrying about nothing?
If I change from the stock Bontrager Jones XR tyres to something more beefier, will this happen more often?

Cheers all.
Sink the eight ball. Buy the lady a drink. And nobody knows my name.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    look at your seat.

it can happen.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Banned!
    Banned! Posts: 34
    whenever i rode an air shock the tyre would meet the back of my saddle when at the limit of its travel.

i use a coil over now to prevent this. the choices were either pump the shock up too hard or raise my seat and i didnt like either of those very much.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    whenever i rode an air shock the tyre would meet the back of my saddle when at the limit of its travel.

i use a coil over now to prevent this. the choices were either pump the shock up too hard or raise my seat and i didnt like either of those very much.
    well changing the spring medium will not stop contact, changing the stroke would.

also air springs are progressive by nature while coils are linear.

I would say you changed more that just the spring medium.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Banned!
    Banned! Posts: 34
    yes, but the air shock went through its travel far too quickly. the coil over is more forgiving. its a harsher ride, yes, and its heavier, but for my style of riding its the hands down winner.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
  • landranger
    landranger Posts: 220
    nicklouse wrote:
    look at your seat.

it can happen.

It's took a few hours in the pub and another look at you answer to make me think - by jove! your onto something there.

I have a tool bag under my saddle and I noticed the cover had got a tear on the bottom. It must be my wheel touching the tool bag! :o
    Originally I thought "naaah, my bike would be almost split in two for that to happen" But yeah, your spot on.

More air then.

:D
    Sink the eight ball. Buy the lady a drink. And nobody knows my name.