Ultremo R vs vanilla

verloren
verloren Posts: 337
edited April 2009 in Road buying advice
I'm looking for some durable, lightweight tires so I don't have to haul my armadillos around a few sportives this summer (was amazed to see that switching out could save me a kg). I'd decided on the Ultremos based in part on their great review in Cycling Plus a few months ago. More recently in the magazine, though, the Ultremo R was described as 'terrifying' in the wet, which doesn't sound like much of a recommendation.

So what's the difference between the two, is the R really a step down, and should I ignore both and go with the DD?

Cheers, Paul

'09 Enigma Eclipse with SRAM.
'10 Tifosi CK7 Audax Classic with assorted bits for the wet weather
'08 Boardman Hybrid Comp for the very wet weather.

Comments

• Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    edited April 2009
    IIRC DD's (Double defence) were ~ 240 g ? - not particularly light (could be wrong on the weight though?) - if you want lightweight and durable then I'd go for GP4000s - GP4000s have a reputation for durability whereas most other race-able tyres don't. However, if you just want top-quality lightweight summer tyres then theres tons of choice - Pro Race 3's, Ultremo's (or R's), Diamante Pro 2's, Open Corsa CX 320 TPI's etc..
  • verloren
    verloren Posts: 337
    Well the Rs are 180g, which is low enough :) and seem to have a good reputation, but I'll take a look at the GPs, thanks.

'09 Enigma Eclipse with SRAM.
    '10 Tifosi CK7 Audax Classic with assorted bits for the wet weather
    '08 Boardman Hybrid Comp for the very wet weather.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    I used last year's standard Ultremo as my winter tyre and it was great, didn't get a single puncture and although there's quite a few small nicks in the tread they held up well.
    I didn't see the review but I can't see how they're terrifying in the wet, they gripped well IME. I had the odd moment on muddy farm lanes but unless you're running CX tyres I can't see any road tyre wouldn't struggle in mud :p

I've just taken delivery of a pair of the new R version (£50 a pair at Merlin), they're certainly light - not fitted them yet though. The R isn't a step down as such, just lacks the sidewall reinforcement I think. But given how well the others stood up over the winter I'm not convinced it's needed (although if the DD model had also been on offer I probably would have gone for them as I don't mind a bit more weight for a bit of added protection).
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    I had the Ultremos for a day. Ripped through the back one totally on something on the road. Straight through the sidewall. Shame as they looked the biz. Gone back to Pro Race 3.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • blorg
    blorg Posts: 1,169
    I have used Ultremos for many many thousands of km and GP4000s (standard, not the S black chilli ones) for maybe a couple of thousand. My vote would be the Ultremos, for weight, grip and definitely puncture-resistance. They also go on to my rims a lot easier than the Contis. Use Gatorskins on my tourer, they are a lot better for grip/road feel compared to Armadillos, but are not so puncture-resistant (don't think anything is as good as Armadillos there, but they are an awful tyre to ride.)