Is this bad....... i dont think so......

James23
James23 Posts: 113
edited April 2009 in MTB beginners
Went for a nice bike ride yesterday 5.3 miles in 50mins or there abouts. After a shower i went to the local for a pint to watch the footie. My mates asked where i had been how long ect thants when the mickey taking started

Personally i didnt think it was bad but appranly it is and only being a beginner i was wondering what you guys/girls though but be truthful if its bad it is......... lol

Cheers James

Comments

• Banned!
    Banned! Posts: 34
    how can riding your bike be bad?

were you in a race? no, so your time is absolutely irrelevant.
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    James23 wrote:
    Went for a nice bike ride yesterday 5.3 miles in 50mins or there abouts. After a shower i went to the local for a pint to watch the footie. My mates asked where i had been how long ect thants when the mickey taking started

Personally i didnt think it was bad but appranly it is and only being a beginner i was wondering what you guys/girls though but be truthful if its bad it is......... lol

Cheers James

Who gives a toss what anyone else thinks? If it suits you, that's all that matters isn't it?

I help two mates run a pub football team. Out of twenty-two people, I'm the only one who does any sport other than play football once a week. I'm also the oldest (at 37) and I can run absolute rings round some of the lads on the team, the youngest of whom is 19. Yet they still take the rise at every end and side.

I find an easy way to shut tossers up like this is to challenge them to go with you - they'll tell you where to get off, but they'll give up taking the piss after that. ANd none of them have taken me up on the offer so far.

I once had a bloke in my local start ripping the piss out of me when I walked in in my riding gear - he's 6 foot two and weighs about 25 stone. I let him get on with it while I got a drink then I turned to him and said, "if you got out on a bike you might not be such a fat, ugly fucker!"

He went several shades of purple and sat there opening and shutting his mouth before he set off chasing me out of the pub. I took him on one lap of the car park - I did it at little more than jogging pace but by the time I'd got back to the pub door he was sweating buckets and could hardly breathe. He hasn't spoken to me since (possibly because he hasn't recovered yet...)
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Plus, mileage is totally relative, 5 miles up a hill or through mud or over broken terrain takes a lot longer than 5 miles down a hill.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • dave_hill
    Northwind wrote:
    Plus, mileage is totally relative, 5 miles up a hill or through mud or over broken terrain takes a lot longer than 5 miles down a hill.

Or walking 500 yards to the pub, which is about as much exercise as msot of them probably get...
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Kyrotek
    Kyrotek Posts: 48
    I t doesn't matter what they say, if you are enjoying it then stuff them.

6 miles on road is totally different to 6 miles off-road and the time it takes between them means nothing. Keep riding and times will change with your skill and stamina., just have a good time in the saddle out there.
    Don't get too close as a broken tail light often offends...
  • As has been said why does it matter? Mileage and times vary so much,

I've done the same route in opposite directions in 1hr 35mins one way and 18mins the other way, (up Snowdon and down Snowdon) :)

Last night I did 28 miles in 3.5 hrs, other rides are longer and quicker, some are shorter but take longer.

As long as you enjoyed it, that's the main thing!
  • Furbes
    Furbes Posts: 289
    James23 wrote:

Cheers James

Can any of them do 5.3 Miles in 50 Mins ? It's not bad at all because you were out , enjoying yourself & getting fresh air . As Jesus said , if you weren't in a Race your Times mean absolutely nothing . I would put it down to one Word ... Jealousy :!:
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    They're seeing that as averaging about 5mph on a bike and thinking it's slow. On rough terrain it's a different story. A group of us did 20 miles in somewhere around 4/5 hours in Wales at the weekend, but when most of it's climbing that feels like a big effort if you're only a weekend rider. If I tell my non-biking mates it took all dy to do 20miles and I'm completely knackered, they take the piss too.

As Dave says, challenge them to do it with you!
  • Ellio
    Ellio Posts: 100
    50mins to do a 5 mile ride may not sound much to your friends but its better than 50 mins sitting on the sofa doing nothing. Everyone has to start somewhere and its better that you can get home and walk to the pub after a ride than not be able to move for 3 days because you over did it.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    An average speed of 6 mph is disappointing even by my standards :wink:
  • As long as you are riding your bike you are a hero.

Distance and time matter not. Have fun and Ride on we all started somewhere.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    dave_hill wrote:
    Or walking 500 yards to the pub, which is about as much exercise as msot of them probably get...

Good example, since it always takes twice as long to get back from the pub as it does to get there.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • dombo6
    dombo6 Posts: 582
    That equates to over 6mph.

To put it in persepctive, I regularly go on mtb rides for 25-30 miles or so at average 8-8.5 mph. This is around Surrey Hills so lots of climbing , descending, single track etc, ie fairly mixed.

Riding 100 miles along South Downs Way in a day on mountain bikes took 12.5 hrs riding time so approx 8 mph.

Last year I rode the Etape du Tour which was a mountain stage of the Tour de France and placed middle of the pack. My average speed up two Pyrennean mountains Tourmalet and Hautacam (15 and 13 miles uphill respectively) was barely over 6 mph.

That was on a 18lb road bike with skinny race tyres and I weigh just over 10 stone.

Therefore I'd say you did pretty well. And as others have said, you probably had a lot of fun.
  • at least you doing exercise compared to the fatties.:)
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • As Jesus said , if you weren't in a Race your Times mean absolutely nothing

On its own, this would have been the most awesome post ever :lol:

On a serious note though sod 'em :evil: . As long as you are enjoying yourself it makes no difference.
  • dave_hill
    Northwind wrote:
    dave_hill wrote:

Good example, since it always takes twice as long to get back from the pub as it does to get there.

You're obviously not drinking enough. I just use my Magic Beer Scooter.
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    I think you've fallen foul to pub mathematics. You're supposed to double the distance and half the time of all journeys while using the word "about" at strategic points. Your mates are obviously assuming you're already doing this which would mean 2.5 miles in nearly 2 hours.

Tell them you were mistaken, it was 'about 10 miles in about 25 minutes', much better.