MTB Groupset Hierarchy

Slow Downcp
Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
edited April 2009 in MTB beginners
Thinking of getting an MTB for around £500 for messing around on and taking the kids round the local trails etc (all riding is road at the moment). What's the Shimano and Sram groupset equivalents of each other (i.e. is Shimano XT=Sram X7 etc)?
Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,714
    There's not perfect correlation really. I'd rank them like so:

X0 - out on its own
    XTR
    X9 - Nearly up with XTR
    XT
    X7 - Nearly up with XT
    SLX
    X5
    Deore
    X4

I'd say that SLX and X5 or Deore and X4 are nearly equal, if not completely equal.
  • Slow Downcp
    So does LX no longer exist?
    I guess then for £500 I should be looking at X5 or SLX?
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,714
    LX was repurposed into being more of a touring group. SLX was created to be a mix between Hone and LX, so more of an aggressive XC set, strong but light.

X5 or SLX will be good on a £500 bike, yes. MTB manufacturers tend to mix groupsets up a bit, so don't be put off if you see, for example, a Deore front mech on a bike which is mostly SLX.
  • Banned!
    Banned! Posts: 34
    i use sram x5 shifters and theyre just as smooth as thier shimano equivalent but theyre a little heavier and bulkier and dont have the same strength.

its not a huge difference and its not something you would ever notice, so if you want to save a few quid, go for sram
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Personnally I prefer Sram - the shifting is a little more agricultural but I think it's more positive and I like that.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Slow Downcp
    Cheers - I'll have a look round to see what there is, although the usual suspects (Boardman, Carrerra, Specialized etc) all look pretty much the same to me.