Rollers and Turbo trainers

pottssteve
pottssteve Posts: 4,069
edited April 2009 in Road beginners
Hi All,
I'm looking for opinions on the pros and cons of rollers vs turbo trainers. I only have one bike so I think rollers will be less hassle than to keep fitting the bike to a trainer. However, I've been warned that rollers are harder to use and require more skill and concentration. I'm not training for anything in particular, just to get some exercise when the weather is bad. I was looking at Elite parabolic rollers or any one of a number of turbo trainers.
Any advice appreciated.
Thanks,
Steve
Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs

Comments

• topher9
    topher9 Posts: 54
    I've got a cycleops turbo trainer and to be honest, it's class. Got quick release so take two seconds to put the bike on it. Gets you fit VERY quickly imo too.

Couldn't recommend it any higher. Not sure about rollers cos I've never used them but would imagine a TT is better for getting off/on too.
  • suze
    suze Posts: 302
    Rollers are primarily used for warming up/down at track sessions.
    �3 grand bike...30 Bob legs....Slowing with style
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    Go for the rollers, you know it makes sence. Just put your bike on it and off you go.
    OK, you need to learn to balance them first but that will only improve your road riding.
    you have to concentrate on rollers, or you fall off :lol:
    turbo men say you don't get a proper workout on rollers, well I can push up to hr max on the rollers, I admit you can't alter the loading but that is what the bikes gears are for, you'll end up in top gear and then spin, I can now spin up to 44 mph, but not for long :lol: . You really do get a workout on them, go on , go for the rollers
    One word of warning, keep pets out of the room, when I was starting out the cat wondered in front of me and I swerved :oops:
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace
  • pottssteve
    So John,
    Do you think I should go for the rollers... :lol:

Thanks for the advice. I'm not after a full workout and as I thought, changing gear means I can push myself as much as I want to. I also don't have any pets, other than children...

You know, I think I might go for the rollers...
  • hamstrich
    hamstrich Posts: 112
    Turbo trainers can give you a more realistic simulation of actually riding a bike, in terms of the resistance that they can offer. I've never tried rollers but from what I've heard you'll need to be spinning pretty damned fast to get a good workout, so you can't simulate climbing etc.
  • John C.
    You can't alter the resistance on rollers but if you put the bike in top gear at about 15 mph then get out of the saddle riding steadily that will give a hilly workout.
    If you spin fast you sure as hell get a good work out, it also improves your spinning ability.
    Turbos seem to be pushed a lot by the manufacturers, could this be so they can sell lots of computer gizmo's ?
    Try having a go on both if you can, they are very different.

• jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    I've got a turbo and rollers. I haven't used my turbo since I got the rollers, though. That was january 2008 :) I've got an Elite Ghibli parabolic, really recommend it.

You can get rollers with variable resistance but you can also just let a few psi out of your tyres.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • pottssteve
    Thanks for the advice, chaps.
    I got the rollers today but am going out for a proper ride tomorrow, weather permitting.
    Cheers,
    Steve
  • John C.
    The first few seconds will scare the hell out of you :lol: , but carry on it gets eassier quite quickly.

• Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    If you can get a pair of Tacx rollertack rollers you can get a resistance unit for them.
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • pottssteve
    John,
    Thanks for the advice. Got the rollers going today, firstly clinging to the wall with one hand on the tops and slowly progressed to both hands on the drops and pedalled away relatively happily for 10 minutes or so before stopping a bit quickly, slipping the chain and lurching sideways. :shock: I'm sure that not all of the sweating was due to physical exertion!
    Still, I survived to have another go tomorrow. :)
  • Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    Put the rollers in a doorway until you're confident then you have the frame to grab on either side.
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • pottssteve
    Thanks, Wooliferkins,
    I do have a small stool on each side of the bike to put my foot down on, and I'm quite tall so I managed to get my foot down OK. I'd read the doorframe trick but oddly don't have a suitable door to use. However, I do have a narrow balcony so I'm going to have a go on there soon - I think it will be impossible to fall off there......... :)
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    pottssteve wrote:
    However, I do have a narrow balcony so I'm going to have a go on there soon - I think it will be impossible to fall off there

:shock: :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • pottssteve
    Rolf,
    Yes, I know! :lol:
  • John C.
    I'd have loved to see your face the first time you tried them :lol: . Now the next problem will be when you get used to them you can up the training and then the sweat will be for real. Think positive , it dose help, although I'm not sure what :? .

• pottssteve
    Thanks for the encouragement, John. "Mask of Fear" may well have described it. :shock:
    I've noticed my balance is already better when out on the road, which I'm putting down to the effect of the rollers, thereby justifying the expense! :)
  • pottssteve
    ROLLERS UPDATE!!!

Well, just did about 30 minutes on them out on the balcony. Got up to reasonable speed (I don't have a computer so don't know exactly what) as I got the whiff of burning rubber...

Geez, it's pretty boring so I've hit on the idea of using a laptop showing cycling DVDs as incentive :) I'll watch loads of flat time trials.

The main problem is now the humidity - we've had thunderstorms here today and it's humid. After about 5 minutes I was sweating like a pig in an abbatoir. Still, it's got me in the mood for the Tour of Turkey :D