Eddy Merckx Alu Sprint - Old Bike - what to do with it?

cycling_simon
cycling_simon Posts: 473
edited April 2009 in Road general
Hi ALl

I have an Eddy Merxkx Alu Sprint Frame, with 105 headset

DSC03643.jpg

the paint isnt in great condition as you can see, there is also a few splashes of cement on the frame (Dont Ask!)

But the question is what shall I do with it?

Are they many of these frames about? are they any good? - it doesnt feel too heavy to me!

Would it make a good Fixie?

Is it worth selling? - Whats it worth?

Any help would be great guys

Simon
YOU CAN TELL A HAPPY CYCLIST BY THE FLIES ON THEIR TEETH!

Comments

• bill57
    bill57 Posts: 454
    I'll try to answer all your questions, not necessarily in the order you asked them.

1. All Merckx frames are good. I had Corsa SL, wish I still had it.
    2. It's not ideal for fixed wheel because the semi vertical dropout will make it hard to get
    the chain tension right.
    3. It's an older frame, a lot of buyers will be put off by the fact it's not A-headset, and it needs a respray. I doubt if you'd get more than £30 - £40 for it. There's no shortage of frames after all.
    4. Just build it and ride it.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    You could buy a singulator which fits in the drop out and lets you run a single speed. That's a quality frame. Someone like Atlantic Boulevard will respray and re-badge it for you. it wont be cheap £200+ but you'll have a great bike to have fun with. failing that, give it to me :wink:
    M.Rushton
  • If tht was mine i would get it resprayed and buld it up with classic looking kit, restore it to former glory as a training bike, dura ace DT shifters n all ;)
    Ribble Gran Fondo
    Focus Black Hills
    Raleigh Chopper