Trans Pennine Trail

Furkuk
Furkuk Posts: 71
edited April 2009 in MTB beginners
Yesterday my wife and I got the train to Southport and cycled back home along the Trans Pennine Trail. A total of 54 miles. It was excellent. Thats the longest distance we have done up to now. :D
I can highly recommend it :shock:
Now the owner of a GT Aggressor XC 3

Comments

• ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    Myself and a mate did the whole thing Southport to Hornsea in 4 days. Awful weather and headwinds of 40mph for the first day- it dont half whistle down the estuary at Runcorn! :shock: Foggy the next day so no views over the Pennines and then finally the weather improved for the last leg and the ride down the Humber estuary. 8)
    Tis a very pleasant way to spend time when its nice. :)
    Some pics in my sig if you are interested- you'll recognise it as well!
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • Totally Agree

I regularly use the TPT for a bit of exercise (very few hills in Cheshire so long flat rides are all that is available locally). Quick 20mile loop or 30mile with a pub stop at Fiddlers Ferry. :)

The recent improvements of the section between Altrincham and Lymm have made a real difference with the trail no longer resembling a mud bath. Now all they have to do is train the dog walkers to keep their mutts under control. :x

Can't wait to start taking my son out on the trail. He is 7 months now so just about big enough to support the helmet.

Giant TCR Advanced 3 '12
    Giant Trance X2 '09
    GT Avalanche Expert '07
    Claud Butler Milano '07
  • ratty2k
    Yer, like the pub on the Mersey myself- good selection of Whiskey :D Not been on it for ages, gonna have to drag myself onto it- may do tomorrow! Weather is good.... Hmmm 8)
    My Pics !

• Furkuk
    Furkuk Posts: 71
    Cheers :D
    I am looking to do the full route with my youngest son in June. We can't wait :D
    Now the owner of a GT Aggressor XC 3
  • ratty2k
    tis indeed fun, be careful round the middle after Penistone- trails can get a wee bit confusing there- also we had an issue just outside Hull- a sign was buried in a hedge and we missed it. Ended up making our own way through Hull till we picked up the trail again.
    One thing I will say tho' get the to a library or shop and get the OS maps with the route on- the linear maps supplied with the trail are useless if you go slightly awry..
    My Pics !

• What would you folks recommend to an out of shape, beginner biker? Not sure where to start with the TPT, but I feel I am wasting a fantastic oppurtunity as I live in Sheffield!
    Help me I am a n00b!
  • ratty2k
    In what way? Bikewise? If so a hybrid would easily cope with the TPT- I did it on a steel framed road bike... (Planet X Kaffenback)
    My Pics !