Anyone else had problems with Alex DP17 rims?

jamieh5463
jamieh5463 Posts: 223
edited January 2010 in MTB general
I bought the bike with Alex Dp17 rims on it just before christmas, after about a month and a half i had a bad buckle, this became very bad. I assumed i had buckled it. I went out on a ride yesterday and the tyre was rubbingon the frame so much it was unbearable, so i stopped and checked the wheels and all of the spokes were loose extremely loose i could probably move them about 3-4cm to each side. I was wondering if i was a one off or if other poeple have had same problem.
Jamie

Comments

• no problem at all with mine in 9 months *touches wood*

sounds like the wheel wasn't built properly in the first place to me
  • jamieh5463
    jamieh5463 Posts: 223
    my thought exactly :)
  • Phonk7
    Phonk7 Posts: 178
    jamieh5463 wrote:
    I bought the bike with Alex Dp17 rims on it just before christmas, after about a month and a half i had a bad buckle, this became very bad. I assumed i had buckled it. I went out on a ride yesterday and the tyre was rubbingon the frame so much it was unbearable, so i stopped and checked the wheels and all of the spokes were loose extremely loose i could probably move them about 3-4cm to each side. I was wondering if i was a one off or if other poeple have had same problem.
    Jamie
    Ive had 3 terrible buckles with this rim, wont buy such a weak rim again.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    jamieh5463 wrote:
    Jamie

Err you damaged the wheel and kept riding on it?

well it would not be able to mend itself.

you should have taken it (bike or wheel) to the shop for fixing.

most likely you have trashed it now.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse wrote:
    jamieh5463 wrote:
    Jamie

Err you damaged the wheel and kept riding on it?

well it would not be able to mend itself.

you should have taken it (bike or wheel) to the shop for fixing.

most likely you have trashed it now.

You'd never tell you were a Yorkshireman Nicklouse :wink:
  • bamba
    bamba Posts: 856
    been riding mine for bout 9 months now, had a small buckle a few months back on the rear,got it trued up straight away, no further problems.
    not the best wheels out there from what ive read,but if you ride with a bent wheel what do you want.
  • Matt N
    Matt N Posts: 160
    no trouble with mine over the two years i had them
    If calsberg made bikes... they'd probably be the best bikes in the world

’My Spesh’
  • stu8975
    stu8975 Posts: 1,334
    As nick says, if you keep using a damaged part its only going to get worse, then fail completely.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with the rims, but they will be factory built and most probably not tensioned properly from the start. Any wheelbuild would be prone to trouble if not properly finished. My g/f bought a cheap Trek road bike with low-rent Alex rims from our LBS but they (unusually) re-tensioned the wheels prior to sale, and they have been rock solid for over a year even on heavy loaded touring, and on severely potholed or unsurfaced roads. The wheels can be potentially very strong and reliable, of course they are cheap and heavy, but on an entry level bike are appropriate.
  • milfredo
    milfredo Posts: 322
    A spoke key and 10 minutes could have sorted this from the moment you noticed the problem. It might be a good idea to buy one and see if you can get the wheel true unless the rim is now bent out of shape. There are loads of guides on the web on how to do it.