GPS units

taylorlej
taylorlej Posts: 27
edited April 2009 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

would like to know the best gps to buy. i've already got a flightdeck computer which tells me more than i ever want to know so the main function for the gps would be navigation - would like to see the map (and preferably terrain) on the display, dont know weather they give directions like a car sat-nav or not but that would be usefull.

planning to take it to europe so it would need to work there. also i'm on a tight budget so the cheaper the better!!

any suggestions
thanks
L

Comments

• amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    If you want cheap with mapping and routing then your best bet would be a Garmin Etrex legend HCx. I picked one up for about £120. They don't have cadence or HR options like the Garmin Edge that many cyclists use, but aside from that they have one distinct advantage - they use AA batteries and you get up to 20-25 hours from a set (compared to about 12 hours with an Edge that needs recharging from mains or a computer). Maps are a little expensive and the base map all the Garmin units come with are crap so you'll need to spend another £70 or so on the Garmin City Navigator Europe maps. Also you'll need to buy a bike mount which'll cost about £10. So your cheapest option is likely to come out at about £200.
    More problems but still living....
  • GavH
    GavH Posts: 933
    Garmin Edge 605 or 705 is a good option if you're travelling previously unknown ground. You WILL need the City Navigator Europe maps either on DVD or better still SD card as previously mentioned. Routes can be plotted and then uploaded to the GPS using free sites ushc as BikeRouteToaster.com. At £380 for the 705 Road Performance Pack thats about as expensive as it'll get, giving you the 705, mapping for europe on SD, Speed, Cadence and Heart Rate data. If all you want is the mapping and GPS functionality, look to the 605 Road pack which retails around about the £270 mark. However, it must be said, shop around, the prices can vary and deals are there to be had.