26x1.0 inch tyres on 17mm alex rims?

reppohkcor
reppohkcor Posts: 111
edited April 2009 in Road beginners
Hello all.

I'm starting to do midweek road training on my hardtail and i've been given some schwalbe marathon 26x1.0 tyres to use instead of my nobblys.

Will they be ok on my alex rims 17mm internal diameter? The bike is a rockhopper.

I've been told tubes of 1 1/4 - 1 3/8 will be fine on these even though they are rated higher...

I wont blow out at 40mph will i guys?? :?

Comments

• dazzawazza
    dazzawazza Posts: 462
    I have 26x1" All Condition Pros on my Mavic 317 rims and they have been fine after a lot of miles and I have reached 40MPH on them. However, I'm not sure on the measurements of the rim after a quick search on Google?? The sticker on the rim rates them for tyres 1.0" to 2.3".
  • reppohkcor
    Does anyone have 1 inch tyres on?

I'm going mad here! ThEy are impossible to fit! I'm going BONKERS!
  • batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    Look at Sheldon Browns website, you will learn everything you need to know.

I'd find you a link but my work computer is sloth like and I'm off home now, sorry!
  • reppohkcor
    The front is on but is pinched. The back tube is f***d now too (this was done by a bike mechanic!).

Never am I going to 1 inch again and i advise anyone against it!

Swapping it for a 1.3 or 1.5 tomorrow!
  • SimonLyons
    SimonLyons Posts: 203
    I use 26x1.15 Aligatorskin Continental on Alex rims. (Ridgeback Storm). for commuting.

When new the tyres are hard to get on, but once they have been on a while they do relax a little. You do have to be patient getting the tyres on and be prepared to hurt your hands if/when the tyre levers slip.

I use Specialized inner tubes which are 26 x 1-1.15 inch.
    I tried using a bigger inner tube once but there was just too much rubber to get into the tyre and gave up.
  • balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    reppohkcor wrote:
    The front is on but is pinched. The back tube is f***d now too (this was done by a bike mechanic!).

Never am I going to 1 inch again and i advise anyone against it!

Swapping it for a 1.3 or 1.5 tomorrow!

I'm afraid I don't understand this comment. Would you expand? Are you saying that both inner tubes were punctured during assembly? (Did either tyre inflate?) What is it about the tyre width that caused the problem, in your opinion?

From what you say, I can only guess that the tyres were difficult to mount, or perhaps that inner tubes intended for high volume tyres were used.