XC Bike Advice / Does this lot go?

dabblet
dabblet Posts: 9
edited April 2009 in MTB buying advice
Apologies in advance for the wall of text about to descend especially from a new member.

This may be a little late in the process to come here and ask for opinions but there is always time for change.

39, large fella, out of shape and just getting back into MTB after a few years off.

Riding general trails (some road) basically nothing to extreme for the time being but hoping to spend some time at Dalby and Cannock in a few months time once I get over incipient heart failure from excercise.

Started with a budget for my bike of £1500-£2500 and wanted full sus but limited rear travel as have never got into serious downhill (nor racing so extreme lightness all round is not a necessity rather have some strength).

Sadly after buying the daughter a Scott Contessa, my wife a Marin Sausalito and my car a tow bar and Thule G5 909 carrier I had to have a rethink :P .

After rethink thought stuff it and have ordered a 2009 Scott Spark 20 which should arrive later this week.

Wasn't happy with the bike as stock so have ordered the following parts and this is where I could do with some advice i.e. - that won't work - you should have got X - meh & wat.

Hope Tech M4 bakes with braided hoses / floating rotors
Race Face Deus XC X-Type Chainset
SRAM X.0 Triggers front & rear
SRAM X.0 Carbon Cage 8/9 Speed Rear Derailleur
SRAM PG990 Cassette
Easton AM Havoc Wheels
Time ATAC XS Carbon Pedals
Selle Italia XC Gel-Flow Saddle

Could also really do with some suggestions on the rubber - at the moment the trails where I am are generally pretty firm so out and out cling to the side of a rock face is not necessary.

Previous bike was this (and saddle was lowered for new owner):

mtbepic1s.jpg

but had agreed to sell to a friend so has gone otherwise would have probably used that to get my fitness levels back up and my weight down before the above.

Anyway your comments, laughter and or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• the sram x0 i have heard arent worth the extra cost over the x9s, though i sure someone will disagree with this, but might be idea looking at bike radar reviews for those parts and see what pops up
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    The Wheels you suggest are designed for All Mountain riding i.e. for bikes designed for much harder riding than yours is. Hence, they will be heavy - significantly heavier than your current wheels.
    The Race Face chainset will offer no real performance benific over the XT you have already.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    The standard XT brakes are pretty good too.Might be interested in buying them off you,if you are swaping!
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    You're having a laugh aren't you? Three grand plus on a bike and you're upgrading before you've even had it delivered? April 1 is tomorrow, b.t.w.
  • dabblet
    Thanks for the advice and suggestions - much appreciated.

Will update post at weekend as hopefully will all be sorted by then.
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    Id be happy with the Spark 30,and using the change to buy a nice hardtail for winter use! :lol:
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • wings988
    wings988 Posts: 106
    Its looks like you made a schoolboy error and got the wrong spec bike, not to worry, we all make the wrong choice from time to time. You should have got the Spark RC, if I was you I'd call the shop and see if you can change bike before you take the 20 and then you can save the parts you bought for spares, just ebay the wheels and get some decent ones. At the end of it all you'll still have a nicer ride than that horrid red Specialized, bet you're glad you managed to offload it. Happy riding. :D
  • dabblet
    Well after considering advice and doing some further readng and also as no-one said - "No it won't work well together" I've left the build progressing as detailed in the OP.

I provided the wheels, saddle and pedals and the rest has been sourced by the shop and there is no differential on the cost - i.e. am paying standard bike price - so fair play to them :D .

Popped in to see it in the flesh today and can only say am looking forward to getting my grubby mits on it at the weekend.

Thanks again.
  • wings988
    wings988 Posts: 106
    It would appear this post was entirely a rhetorical question by the poster seemingly to either boost the ego or gain some sort of recognition for selecting a mountain bike with a decent spec. I'm sure most people on this forum with a bit of knowledge could make a similar if not more comprehensive post if they wished to. :arrow:
  • mbnut
    mbnut Posts: 155
    I feel like i have just lost 10 minutes of my life...

Hope you enjoy it anyway
  • deadliest
    deadliest Posts: 471
    wings988 wrote:
    It would appear this post was entirely a rhetorical question by the poster seemingly to either boost the ego or gain some sort of recognition for selecting a mountain bike with a decent spec. I'm sure most people on this forum with a bit of knowledge could make a similar if not more comprehensive post if they wished to. :arrow:

I expect that next week we will hear about his new sports car has his descent into mid life crisis rattles on. :lol:

Must agree really seems a pointless post, And changing the components of a bike the day you collect it seems mighty ridiculous as I am certain that it works out more cost effiecent to buy the bike pre built ?? Oh well as long as he keeps the economy ticking over with frugal spending the recession will soon be over :D
    Bikes are drugs and Im pedalling

http://sherwoodpines.yolasite.com/
  • dabblet
    hmm ego? not sure I have any of that.

Genuinely getting back into biking after a long period away. Was after advice as to the mix of parts I had suggested - op stated I was already in the process of sourcing those parts but could change them if there was a problem or better suggestion. Cost wasn't an over-riding issue nor was weight.

The comment about the wheels was taken on board and the Easton wheels weigh the same +/- 50g to the DT Swiss the bike came with hence I decided to stay with my planned purchase.

Re: Scott RC - didn't like the component mix based upon a number of factors including the price.

Truly sorry if you feel you have wasted part of your life - thought it would be a good introduction to the forums and hopefully garner some usefull information / comments.

kthxbai 8)

Edited to add - if it was just a "look at me / this" could have just posted a pic of bike in the appropriate thread.

meh
  • mbnut
    mbnut Posts: 155
    The main thing is to get out and ride... and if you are taking the amily along sometimes all the better

Like i said... enjoy