Richmond Park Old Slow Fat Boys One lap Challenge

In deference to the speedy three lappers http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12603098 who tear pass me on a regular basis I would like to propose a thread for those of us who are a little more gravitationally challenged.

Suggested rules are all in the title

One lap Richmond Park - either drection

Old - if you feel old, or your bike is old you are welcome

Slow - Can I suggest 22 minutes as the cap for the quickect time?, that keeps us under the speed limit(!), gives us all a challenge, and if you are faster than that then you should be elsewhere

Fat - Could be something scientific based on BMI - but prefer my wife's comment "You're fat if you don't look good in Lycra". Note Fatboys definitely don't shave their legs (we cant bend over that far)

Boys- All boys of any gender welcome

Just add your times below - declaring your measure of lycra distortion is purely optional

El Bulli...............anti........110kg (two melons in a shopping bag).......25.12......29/03/09..........Old school steel

Comments

• snakehips
    snakehips Posts: 2,272
    Sounds good to me.

I'm definitely old enough.
    Currently I would struggle to get in to the lower echelons of the TLC listing.
    I'm not fat but I eat lots of high fat food like cheese , does that count.
    My gender has never been questioned.

Next time I can ease myself off the settee I might give it a go.

snakehips.jpg

1Tccropthumb.jpg
    Snakehips Bikes
    'Follow Me' the wise man said, but he walked behind!
  • gbs
    gbs Posts: 450
    El Bulli wrote:
    In deference to the speedy three lappers http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12603098 who tear pass me on a regular basis

Good initiative - doing three laps solo requires a taste for self-punishment that I lack - no longer having the hunger of youth.

I certainly qualify as old but lacking in gravity driven advantage on the dowhill stretch. I will post sometime next week I expect.
    vintage newbie, spinning away
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    bikes old infact it's this.

3353508115_7c3e54f144.jpg

from the date stamp on the derailer it's from 1986 though no idea what bike is, i'm certianly over weight though not old as i'm in my 30's.

any how around 25mins at which point my right calf that has been painful for a few days now told me not to be so dumb....
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    I had wondered about starting a Richmond Park one lap challenge lap thread as i, like the other posters above me, cant do three laps at a fast pace. I had wondered if it could act as a starting point for people to then progress onto the three lapper when they have better fitness. From a personal point of view, iI like pushing the pace at times but i have other interests that really cut in on the amount of training i can do. I did manage a slow three lapper last year but a slack winter means that i am way off the pace. My fastest single lap so far this year is 22:58 but at the age of 30 i think i may be too young for this thread? :oops:
  • El Bulli
    El Bulli Posts: 4
    more than welcome we need a few 'youngsters' to set some target times
  • gbs
    GBS...................anti 85kg not fat but 67 yrs old 22.30 08/04
    El Bulli...............anti........110kg (two melons in a shopping bag).......25.12......29/03/09..........Old school steel[/quote]

Strong wind today going up Sawyer's - naturally in the face.

Well I can cope with Dark Hill not using the granny but I cannot cope with the formatting of this list.

BRs to all oldies
  • El Bulli
    El Bulli Posts: 4
    GBS...................anti 85kg not fat but 67 yrs old 22.30
    El Bulli (2)...............anti........109.99kg 24.20...... 29er MTB
    El Bull.................anti .......110kg ...... 25.12...... old school steel

Not much activity on this thread, I'm now back on bike having had plate removed from broken collar bone ( hence drop in weight!)

Took my 29er MTB for a spin to see what difference and actually went faster despite 2.25 inch wide knobbly tyres. Would have gone faster still if not stuck behind Rover 75 ( why are they always Rovers?) coming down Broomfield Hill at 20mph.

Thanks for the PM GBS, road bike back from a repaint shortly and I'm looking forward to seeing all single lappers of whatever age or shape join us
  • gbs
    GBS...................anti.... .85kg .......... 22.30.....not fat but 67 yrs old
    GBS...................cl/w.....83kg............23.20
    El Bulli (2)..........anti.....109.99kg......24.20...... 29er MTB
    El Bull................anti.....110kg ..........25.12...... old school steel

First timed clockwise effort on Monday; started before gates opened so traffic free until an impatient motorist coming down to Ham Cross (Queens Ride?) overtaking at c. 50 mph nearly took me out.

I am feeling selfconscious out in front; surely someone can put me back in the chasing pack.
  • gbs
    gbs wrote:
    GBS...................anti.... .83kg .......... 21.35.....not fat but 67 yrs old
    GBS...................cl/w.....83kg............23.20
    El Bulli (2)..........anti.....109.99kg......24.20...... 29er MTB
    El Bull................anti.....110kg ..........25.12...... old school steel

PB yesterday despite warm headwind going up Sawyers'.

I am struggling with the idea of 3 laps solo but I publicly commit to do it tomorrow. No doubt all the posters on that thread will look with disbelief at the result - how can a guy with such a good bike be so slow? javascript:emoticon(':oops:')