Forest Freeride

lexiekay
lexiekay Posts: 379
edited April 2009 in MTB general
Hello,
Just wondering if anyone has done a skills course with forest freeride before, and if so where they any good?
http://www.forestfreeride.co.uk/

I've heard that Get Mountain Biking do good skills days, but these lot are a bit cheaper...!
Any other recommendations would be good too.

Thanks,
lexie

Comments

• v23
    v23 Posts: 217
    I've not used them myself but am in a similar position looking at courses, specifically for jumps/drops. Having looked at a number of courses I think I've decided to go with Dirt School at Glentress, £85 for a day worth of tuition so only £25 more than Forest Freeride and what looks like a proven track record and at a top class venue.
  • Whytepeak
    Whytepeak Posts: 2,616
    I've done the forest freeride beginners course, and will be back this summer to do the intermediate course. The service Stewart provides really helped focus techniques that I had previously tried. The terrain used varied from his back garden ( a field ) to purpose built / quadbike trails in the forest within riding distance from his house.
    The bunkhouse was well furnished with a stove - but don't forget your sleeping bags. :oops:

All in all it was a great experience, all the animals on the 'farm' (lamas, a blind yew, and Ru - the amicable dog) were all very friendly, the owls are big though :shock: .

Comes with my recomendations - go for it. :D
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • lexiekay
    Great, thanks! That's just the sort of info i was after!

I did look at the Glentress courses, but to be honest Scotland is a bit far away!

Sounds like Forest Freeride might be a good choice, i like the way they do focus days on jumps/drops - something i definitely need to work on!
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Whytepeak wrote:
    (lamas, a blind yew) were all very friendly

Wow! Buddhist holy men and sightless evergreen shrubs!! Must sign up!!! :lol::D
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Whytepeak
    Whytepeak Posts: 2,616
    For the purpose of this thread Lamas = Llamas and yew = ewe - honestly :D
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • v23
    v23 Posts: 217
    lexiekay wrote:
    Great, thanks! That's just the sort of info i was after!

I did look at the Glentress courses, but to be honest Scotland is a bit far away!

Sounds like Forest Freeride might be a good choice, i like the way they do focus days on jumps/drops - something i definitely need to work on!

Dirt school do similar courses at Brechfa, or whatever it's called.
  • moggy82
    moggy82 Posts: 726
    These courses are okay, but finding a good group of friends and critiquing each other is always good. I have done a few days training with local scouts and have done many sessions showing my mates how to get faster over certain sections jumps etc. Im not super quick, say top 20 in senior on a good day, but i have the nack of being able to tell where riders are going wrong etc.

I have now been riding for over 10 years properly i.e i first rode at hopton in 1998!
    And have seen/ridden with a lot of top riders and can tell when people are doing stuff wrong, and provide good suggestions as how to improve. Just the other week, i did a session with amate getting back into it and he improved no end after, i also changed his suspension setting as they were all wrong and he noticed it was much easier to get it right.

If you politely ask the quick guys where you ride to show you a few tips etc, all they can say is no!
  • lexiekay
    These courses are okay, but finding a good group of friends and critiquing each other is always good.

I know what you mean, but i usually ride on my own, or with my boyfriend and his mates - none of my other mates are into it!
    Have had a few tips from my boyfriend but to be honest it normally ends in an argument. And as they're all miles better than me sometimes i think it gets so depressing constantly being the slowest that i dont bother trying so much. Thats why i thought maybe some individual skills coaching might help me learn some stuff, and get my confidence back up!
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    lexiekay wrote:
    Have had a few tips from my boyfriend but to be honest it normally ends in an argument.

Ahhh...the joys of teaching a loved one eh!
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.