upgrading front mech

projectsome
projectsome Posts: 4,478
edited April 2009 in MTB buying advice
Ok, I've got a gary fisher 2008 big sur with a Shimano deore lx front mech.

Are any of these two front mechs worth upgrading to or will i not notice much difference?

I do actually need to replace it though but think i may just go for new instead of just a straight swap.

Shimano XT M770 Front mech
Shimano XTR M970 Front Mech

I do actually need to replace it though but think i may just go for new instead of just a straight swap.

thanks
FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!

Comments

• Im in a similar quandry, and been looking at the same mech's. The XTR is a bit pricey for my use, and it's not worth the money (i've been reliably informed) unless weight is a REAL issue for you.

SLXs were recommended to me, but not made a purchase yet!

Will await more replies to see what else is suggested :wink:
    Newbie with a Felt Q720

A day where you don't learn something is a waste...
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    Very little to be gained from upgrading front mechs.Deore ones work just fine.SLX ones are good,law of diminshing returns after that.Save the money for a spare chain or new cassette.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    I'd go with the view that your money is better spent elsewhere - you will not notice a better front mech.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    Daz555 wrote:
    I'd go with the view that your money is better spent elsewhere - you will not notice a better front mech.

+1 Although obviously it's just wrong to downgrade, there's no point upgrading really.
  • Is it worth doing the cables at the same time if you are putting an order in anyway? Wondering if Flying snake, Alligator or an XTR cable set might be worth upgrading to?
    Newbie with a Felt Q720

• ...and chain im guessing, whilst you're there? My old one is slightly rusty (through lack of proper maintenence :oops:), so could just add it to the list :wink: :roll: SRAM PC951 good enough?
    Newbie with a Felt Q720

• projectsome
    As I needed to replace the front mech (the old one was pretty damaged and didn't work too well) I got the XT version for £35 The XTR was £60. I'm not sure where the old one was damaged but it seems to change a lot smoother and I don't have to stop pedaling to change gear, which was a problem with the old one I had. seems ok, when changing gears going up hills as well.

mental note to self: hit less rocks!
  • How do you hit rocks with your front mech!?
    The rear maybe?
  • Merlin have the XT front mech for £26 :roll: :wink:
    Newbie with a Felt Q720

• adb1006
    adb1006 Posts: 938
    ...and chain im guessing, whilst you're there? My old one is slightly rusty (through lack of proper maintenence :oops:), so could just add it to the list :wink: :roll: SRAM PC951 good enough?

You should really change the cassette along with the chain as they wear together and a new chain may skip on an old cassette and vice versa.

Personally, i'd only change the front mech if absolutely necessary - i.e old one seized/broken, or i was getting the new one as part of a kit - how often do you actually use your front mech? I literally use mine to shift into the top ring if i come to any road, if not, it stays in middle! They're so small too, that i can't see there even being any noticeable weight-saving.
  • My mech is seized, and it's taken me two days to free it off to be able to use middle and top. I do use those two mostly, admittedly, but it would be good to have a fully working mech if needed!

My bike is only 9months old, and the chain and cassette has hardly worn at all, so it wouldnt be a huge jump from what ive got but merely a newer replacement as a preventative measure.
    Newbie with a Felt Q720

• projectsome
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    How do you hit rocks with your front mech!?
    The rear maybe?

lol if only I knew but it's been knocked out of place a few times!

not to mention trees etc.

the chainring and rear mech are in reasonable condition. i replaced the rear cassette recently due to one of the cogs cracking. along with the chain as it broke. I've decided to upgrade to better parts when getting it fixed.
  • That's the way to do it!

Sorry for highjacking the thread, but I had the same question :roll: :oops: :wink:
    Newbie with a Felt Q720