9 speed (price given what do you think)

3110neil
3110neil Posts: 303
edited March 2009 in MTB buying advice
hi
ive just been given a price for changeing my 8 speed to a 9 speed useing sram x 7 rear derailler and sram x 7 shifters ,sram pc970 cassette,sram pc951 chain and new cables
this will be all fitted and set up for £110 .what do you think
the shops done work for me before ,there a good set of lads ,any advise
cheers neil

Comments

• Chilesy
    Chilesy Posts: 152
    Dont seem bad to me ,could save a few £s by fitting yourself but good price :D
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Do you really need 9 speed? Is it a part of a long term upgrade plan or will the 110 quid be better spent elsewhere?
  • HardrockRob
    HardrockRob Posts: 230
    My 8 speed doesn't both me - I don't seem to use all 24 gears as it is. What I would be interested to know is whether the upgrade proposed would save weight and increase performance in terms of robustness and speed of gear change. It is obviously something that I would consider when my current basic Altus/Alvius et up starts to show signs of wear.
    2015 Nukeproof Mega TR 275 in raw
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    how much will it cost you to sort your 8 speed stuff out? (i assume its worn out and needs doing?)

If the difference from doing new 8 speed cassette, chain, jockeys for the mechs isn't a lot then you may as well go for it.

If the difference is quite large and that £50 could be better spent on tyres or something else that bothers you then you may as well stay put.
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • 3110neil
    3110neil Posts: 303
    hi
    Now i think about it ,do i need 9 speed ,an older brother got himself a rockhopper with deora xt its a lot better at shifting than my set up (same as hardrockrob)
    So ill take your advice and leave it ,spend the money on something else (wedding anniversary comeing up ) so ill treat the wife .Then again ?
    cheeers neil