Specialized Recall - MTB handlebars

HardrockRob
HardrockRob Posts: 230
edited April 2009 in MTB general
Went into Evans today and saw a big notice up about the Spesh recall for handlebars. Looks like '09 Rockhoppers, Hardrock Pro ( :( ) and a couple of others I cannot remember. Spoke to my LBS where I got my bike from and they confirmed it, and are currently awaiting serial numbers for bikes involved. So if you have bought one of these bikes probably best check, as the handlebar will need to be replaced.

On the up side, might use this opportunity to get new handlebars and shave a bit of weight. Carbon might be a bit overkill on a Hardrock :shock: , so any recommendations for decent aluminium bars?

PS Did a search for any similar posts but could not find any, so apologies if this is duplicated.
2015 Nukeproof Mega TR 275 in raw

Comments

• Further info..
    http://bangtailbikes.blogspot.com/2009/ ... ecall.html

Specialized Handlebar Recall
    Yesterday we got an email from Specialized alerting us to a recall they currently have for handlebars on select 2009 mountain bikes. if you have a bike with the affected bar or are unsure and want it checked out, bring it in and we'll take care of it. The bike didn't bneed to be purchased from us for us to take care of it.

From Specialized:
    Attention Specialized Dealers:
    It has come to the attention of Specialized Quality Assurance that the HL SBC-ALR-13 NTFOV handlebar, referred in the Specialized Dealer Manual as the Specialized alloy 31.8mm, CAN FAIL due to an anomaly in the heat treatment process. As a result, all of the model year 2009 bars will be recalled. This corrective action is being conducted with the oversight of the United States Consumer Product Safety Commission. You should stop selling the affected bikes immediately.
    The list of affected bikes in the United States market is as follows:
    2009 CrossTrail Comp

2009 Myka HT Comp

2009 Myka HT Elite

2009 Rockhopper Comp

2009 Rockhopper Comp 29

2009 Rockhopper

This recall DOES NOT AFFECT the butted version of this bar referred to in the Dealer Manual as the Specialized butted alloy 31.8mm.
  • Anderzz
    Anderzz Posts: 103
    Aww i wouldnt mind some new bars on my pitch :(

shame they arent on the recall!
  • GTi-R23
    GTi-R23 Posts: 175
    I'm confused, just bought an 09 Rockhopper Pro, hasn't got a butted handlebar. So I just 'googled' rockhopper comp and that has the butted handlebar, yet that is listed as being in the product recall even though it says it doesn't affect butted handlebars?

Do I not ride my 'hopper off road until the bars are changed then? :x
  • jkbs1
    jkbs1 Posts: 23
    Had a reply from Specialized UK Customer Support - "The recall bars are only the non-butted version. For reference the butted bar has a “Specialized” graphic on the front of the bar in the centre whereas the non-butted bar has no graphics at all."

Very prompt and helpful reply too.

My particular bike is not affected.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    already posted on here at the top of the page.

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12615219
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • This thread was posted 1st nick ;)
  • jkbs1
    What wasn't clear was whether all UK models were affected or some (notice mention of US market as Bangtail are a US company) which was why I contacted Specialized UK.
    As other people were (like me) concerned as to whether it was some or all models I thought I'd forward the reply from Specialized.
    Will be more careful in future.
  • GTi-R23
    jkbs1 wrote:
    Had a reply from Specialized UK Customer Support - "The recall bars are only the non-butted version. For reference the butted bar has a “Specialized” graphic on the front of the bar in the centre whereas the non-butted bar has no graphics at all."

Very prompt and helpful reply too.

My particular bike is not affected.

Weird, my bars have the Specialized logo on them as described above, but the spec doesn't mention anything about the bars being butted. I'll take a photo tomorrow and post it on here, may help to shed some more light on the topic as it's an 09 Rockhopper Pro
  • jkbs1
    Haven't seen the Pro listed as a possibly affected model but if in doubt it's worth checking if only for peace of mind.
  • GTi-R23
    Right, these are my bars, they have the logo, so am I 'safe'?

DSC00110.jpg
  • Graydawg
    Graydawg Posts: 673
    aw pants....... :roll: :roll: :roll:

My nearest evans cycles shop (purchased online) is about 600 miles from here :? looks like i'll be without handlebars for a couple of days *sigh*
    It's been a while...