XT brakes

Pigeon.
Pigeon. Posts: 49
edited March 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm looking to take the XT disc brakes off my 29er and use them on a new FS build which will have 2005 Mavic XC717 on LX hubs. The rotors look the same to me but not sure if its as simple as that?

Also are the disc brakes on a full sus exactly the same as on a hard-tail? (sorry if that's a daft question)

cheers

Comments

• JxL
    JxL Posts: 383
    Yes, full suss and hard tail brakes are the same (unless you have different frame/fork mounting - IS or Post).

You might need more powerful brakes or larger rotors for FS than HT.
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    JxL wrote:
    Yes, full suss and hard tail brakes are the same (unless you have different frame/fork mounting - IS or Post).

You might need more powerful brakes or larger rotors for FS than HT.
    Not entirely correct, some rotors (some shimano ones) use a centrelock mount to attach them to the hubs, most use a 6 bolt pattern to attach them to the hubs

Centrelock rotor

SMRT64S.jpg
    c/lock hub

centerlock-disc-hub.jpg

6 Bolt rotor

shimano-smrt75m.jpg

6 bolt hub

2744718535_617a424d5a.jpg

You don't really need larger rotors on a full suss bike compared to a hardtail (provided the bike is used for the same type of riding)
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • JxL
    JxL Posts: 383
    I always thought a full suss being more heavier hence possibly needing larger rotors (more efficient cooling).

As for the centrelock hubs (which I have), you can get an adapter which nicely fits standard 6-bolt disks!

I think its around £13-£15