Saddle height

itboffin
itboffin Posts: 20,052
edited March 2009 in Road beginners
For the last couple of weeks i've been riding my new cross bike with road tyres on the road naturally! however on Sunday I rode my normal road bike for the first time in weeks and the whole ride I felt that the saddle was too low, I know nothing has slipped as I mark my post and my legs still have the same amount of bend at the bottom of the stroke, I ride 4-5 different bikes each month so it's not just a case of adjusting to the riding position and my saddle padding has not worn out, what else could have happened?

I have lost a little weight could that have changed my bike fit?
Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

Comments

• John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    Are the saddles the same height on both bikes. If you are using different shoes and pedals on them it can make a suprising difference. You need to measure from the top of the saddle to the footbed in the shoe. I have to have the saddle on my winter bikes with SPD pedals and MTB shoes about 5mm higher measured from saddle top to BB centre compared with my SPD-SL ones. You can easily feel 5mm difference.
  • itboffin
    Yep same make and model of saddles just different colours and the same shoes, I just don't get it, it feels like I should be higher but if I do my legs will be straight at the bottom stroke, I could lower my stem.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Pooter
    Pooter Posts: 68
    Cross bikes have higher bottom brackets so you will feel higher up.
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    Do the bikes have different angles? Are the saddles in the same position over the BB?
    Does one or the other have a layback seatpost?

It may be that if one has the saddle further back/forward then the angles are different.

I have noticed this on my Full Suss mtb. when sitting on the bike the angles change. Even though the BB to top of saddle distance does not change, the angle of seat to BB does change and feels lower.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • itboffin
    Yep the angles are very different and I've flipped the stem on the cross bike

49144e23ee8e42cf8d21c305c314e16b.jpg

3238847946_99e7e35096.jpg
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    get someone to watch you ride both. They should be able to see you pedaling action better.

I've found it nearly impossible to judge these things myself.

To get my set up nearly right, I measure from the pedal to the middle top of the saddle,with the crankarm in line with the seat post. Be aware that the 'bottom' of the pedal stroke is not at the 6 o'clock position, it is at the point where the crank arm is in line with the seatpost. This is where the fullest stretch of your leg is.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails