help chainsets???????????

laurence26
laurence26 Posts: 35
edited March 2009 in Road buying advice
hi,

Need help wth what chainset and bottom bracket to buy?its for gaint areo tcr english thread.The bike has dura ace front mech and rear mech and rear cog.I'm new to cycling and want to know what to get for around 100-150pounds for chainset and bottom bracket????????? please help

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    How old is the giant TCR? The new ones have BB86 don't they?

If it's an older TCR it'll have an English BB. For around £150 you're probably looking 105/Ultegra/DA/FSA Gossamer
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • its an older one dont know the year but its light alloy.can people let me know what they would get aswell please
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    what rings do you want?

34/50 ish (compact)

or 39/52 ish (std. double)
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • std double i think coz dont know what distances i'm gunna ride yet.does that sound the right thing to do?
  • andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    If you're new to cycling, go for compact in preference to standard. You've got to be pretty fit for a standard (racing) double, unless you live somewhere flat.
  • maddog 2
    what Andrew said

105 10spd double is £108 at Ribble, plus a hollowtech 2 BB for around £20

Ultegra 10spd double is £116 at Ribble

or:

R700 compact for £90

Ultegra compact £135

Ultegra SL compact £167

[the R700 is the bargain]
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • chriskempton
    chriskempton Posts: 1,245
    Planet X have 105 compact (50/34, 172.5mm cranks) for £75.

Only 2 left so you'd have to be quick.....
  • acorn_user
    acorn_user Posts: 1,137
    Try your local shop. They will probably recommend a Shimano Tiagra compact and BB, fit it for you, and make sure it's compatible.
  • thanks for replies!what about bottom bracket do i just get the one to match chainset and how much would that be? or do they come as package.i understand about standard and compact but what would you say if i said i done one ten tt,last year no cyling experience and did 26mins.I've trained all winter done few sessions the last few weeks averaged around 23-24mph for 20mins on road bike.still compact?????sorry for all the questions.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Can you climb?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • maddog 2
    depends how hilly your routes are.

No one can tell you what gearing you need. You need to figure it out yourself.
  • dbb
    dbb Posts: 323
    for what it's worth, i recently changed to a compact after many years on a standard set-up.
    the difference (that i felt) are;
    1. marginally smaller biggest gear. not a problem - only use this gear when flat out down a massive hill!
    2. much smaller lowest gear. this is good for climbing.
    3. less overlap between the big ring and the small ring.
    regards,
    dbb