Heart vs. Head

Ash_
Ash_ Posts: 385
edited April 2009 in The bottom bracket
Right, I have a dilemma, a nice one, but a dilemma nonetheless...

I've always wanted a Colnago, and for the last few years a C50 specifically, though it's well out of my price range.

I tried to satisfy myself by getting a CLX - great bike, but it's not the C50 I wanted. Anyway, the LBS has one 2007 Colnago C50 which hasn't shifted, is in my size, and they will sell to me at a very, very reasonable price. So I'm thinking, buy the C50 (thanks VISA!) put the CLX parts on it (although I'll need a new seatpost and bottom bracket) and stick the CLX frame on eBay. I reckon it's worth 500 quid of anyone's money (it's the 2007 one) and that'd offset the price of the C50 enough to mean it was do-able.

Well, I'm dithering, so I need some help from the Cake Stop collective. If you were in my position, would you go for the bike you've always wanted, or stop being so spoiled and stick with what is already a nice bike?

The more persuasive your arguments either way the better...

Comments

• pdstsp
    pdstsp Posts: 1,264
    You already know the answer - you just need public opinion on your side :D
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    Dear Mrs Ash_
    Stop making Ash_ feel so guilty about wanting his dream bike. Remember those shoes/handbag/shiny thing you just had to have, so you did? You know, those ones. Same thing here.
    Love from the Bikeradar members.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,112
    Do it. You'll regret it for the rest of your life if you don't.
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    You've always wanted one, it's a great deal, your VISA can handle it - GET IT!!!

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • FCE2007
    FCE2007 Posts: 925
    What those guys said :!:
    Powered by Haribo. Zwift convert P.aul Laws [x]
  • jimycooper
    jimycooper Posts: 740
    adequate is not enough, yeah sure it's fine and dandy but if you lived your whole life like that you would have a million regrets...

just go for it man :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:
  • Lysander
    Lysander Posts: 349
    Life is very short, just get it and enjoy and stop feeling guilty.
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    Dip ya bread my owd.

You've put forward a good business case as well. :)

My logic is thus. Buy what you want, not something that's good enough but a "bargin". 'cos in three month the price/saving is irrelivent and you're the owner of a bike that's not really what you want. When I look at my best bike I really want to ride it 'cos it's what I REALLY WANTED.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Dip ya bread my owd.

You've put forward a good business case as well. :)

My logic is thus. Buy what you want, not something that's good enough but a "bargin". 'cos in three month the price/saving is irrelivent and you're the owner of a bike that's not really what you want. When I look at my best bike I really want to ride it 'cos it's what I REALLY WANTED.

About 30 years ago I was offered a pool hall quality snooker table. It was in fact from a pool hall that was closing. Anyway, because it was through a friend the price was
    unbelievable. I'm still kicking myself today for not doing it. I was(and still am) an idiot.

Dennis Noward
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Youre a long time dead, no regrets now, just go for it. It will all work out.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,870
    Fu@k it - go for it
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    If you can afford it, buy it. I wasn't going to purchase the bike I really wanted last year but, thankfully, my wife talked me into it. Haven't regretted it one bit. You know you want to really don't you!!?

There are no pockets in a shroud!
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    If you don't do it, you don't deserve any bike. Or a Visa. Or even life itself.
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,076
    Get over it and stick with what you have. Just enjoy riding and stop obsessing about what you think you reallllly want. Once you had it, after a week you'd probably think, ah well, it aint that much better after all.

But on the other hand, if its a bargain, and you've been thinking about it for years. Go get it!

Buy buy buy!
  • Once you had it, after a week you'd probably think, ah well, it aint that much better after all.!

Not with a C-50 you won't.
  • millmead9
    millmead9 Posts: 14
    Had a similar dilemma with cars a couple of years back. Wanted a 911 but head ruled heart and purchased Boxster. Got very fed up very quickly with friends asking why I hadn't bought "a real one". The Boxster was a great car in its own right but whenever i saw a 911 my heart sank.

So, if its a C50 you want (and why wouldnt you!) then get a C50, anything else is just wasting your money.
    Cervelo RS 2010
    LOOK KG381 Team
    Colnago Dream Lux
    Specialized M4 Rockhopper Disc 2008
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    edited April 2009
    Get it but do you really want to put 105 on a C-50 though? If you're going to do it then do it properly. :P

Someone in the Check out my ride... thread had a CLX as a hack. :twisted:
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    I disagree. I think it's irresponsible to go and spend money on what is an unnecessary purchase.

APRIL FOOL! Get the bl**dy bike! You clearly want it. :)
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • Kenjaja1
    Kenjaja1 Posts: 744
    Ash - did you write that post in the serious erxpectation of anyone on here telling you not to go for the bike.

If anyone does try top talk you out of it it will be 'cos they want it and are trying to get to your LBS before you. If there are no negative posts it is because that person is probably already on their way there.

So shift your ass to your LBS and just do it while you have the chance.
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    Heart vs. Head....but which is better? There's only one way to find out - FIGHT!!!!!

Sorry, couldn't resist it. I'll get me coat. :oops:

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • Ash_
    Ash_ Posts: 385
    Well, I did it! Just back from the bike shop now. Feel sort of pleased and at the same time guilty... I'm sure I'll get over it. I'll feel much better when I sell the CLX too, the finances will look a little healthier.

Oh, and of course I wasn't expecting anyone on here to talk me out of it - I just wanted this thread to use as evidence of diminished responsibility in case my wife finds out and starts divorce proceedings...

Thanks all for the 'support'.

Absolutely no more money to be spent on bikes now though, which means I'll probably be the only owner of a C50 in the world that has Aksiums on it!
  • Kenjaja1
    Kenjaja1 Posts: 744
    Ash_ wrote:
    Well, I did it! Just back from the bike shop now. Feel sort of pleased and at the same time guilty...
    Guilty?!?!?!? :shock: Guilty is what you are supposed to feel when you have been rogering the wife's sister or drowning kittens for a laugh or committing genecide. You must not feel guilty for buying a bike :roll:

Ash_ wrote:
    .......- I just wanted this thread to use as evidence of diminished responsibility in case my wife finds out and starts divorce proceedings...
    If you are so wealthy that your wife can contemplate a divorce you are more than wealthy enough to buy a good bike :twisted:
    Ash_ wrote:
    Absolutely no more money to be spent on bikes now though, which means I'll probably be the only owner of a C50 in the world that has Aksiums on it!
    Oh go on! You've bought the bike now how much difference will a couple of wheels make & if your wife gets cross you might as well get her anger in one go rather than wait until you upgrade the wheels and then get another rollicking. You have time to get back to the LBS and get the wheels you really need
    :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    pottssteve wrote:
    I disagree. I think it's irresponsible to go and spend money on what is an unnecessary purchase.

APRIL FOOL! Get the bl**dy bike! You clearly want it. :)

Ya got me on that one. I didn't go all the way down. Was ready to write in and call you an idiot. :wink::wink:

Dennis Noward
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    See if your bike shop can do you a deal on the parts you want or keep an eye on the classifieds. Get the bike - you will always want one and you have ticked the box. I wanted a Serotta Ottrott and now have one - every time I ride it puts a smile on my face. It was expensive but I won't need another bike like that ever again (i have 5 anyway) unless a larger house and/or a v.large amount of cash comes my way.

Do it.......right now
    M.Rushton