advice for 1st road bike (Boardman team carbon)

jaffajim0
jaffajim0 Posts: 18
edited March 2009 in Road beginners
I am about to buy a Boardman team carbon on the cycle 2 work scheme, it looks about the best bike that my money will get me, (has to be halfords) and am looking for some advice as it will be my 1st road bike. I was apprehensive about going for a road bike as I sometimes struggle with comfort on my hardtail which is more upright but having read some threads about comfort I have learned the importance of getting the right size bike for me and to get it set correctly. The seat looks like a razor blade :shock: , is there anything I can do to make it more comfortable i.e. padded undies/shorts, do they make that much difference? Are the Continental gp4000 tyres the best for the bike to keep me away from punctures as much as possible? As I said, I am a beginner to road bikes so any help on these points and anything any body thinks will be helpful would be great.

Comments

• STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    You can change the seat to any one you like. Also remember that Halfords don't always get shining reports back on the way certain staff members set bikes up. It seems dependent on the skill of individuals in store so make sure they know what they're on about or, better still, take it to a local bike shop for a once over.
  • jaffajim0
    jaffajim0 Posts: 18
    You can change the seat to any one you like. Also remember that Halfords don't always get shining reports back on the way certain staff members set bikes up. It seems dependent on the skill of individuals in store so make sure they know what they're on about or, better still, take it to a local bike shop for a once over.
    How much would an lbs charge to do a complete set up?
  • Tempestas
    Tempestas Posts: 486
    Good bikes once set up correctly, some branches get slated and others have experienced staff so check the bike thoroughly before signing for it.

As for saddles, a good pair of shorts is the best start and try the standard saddle for a few weeks. If you don't get on with it take a look at Fi:zik, Selle Italia range and the Charge Spoon saddle which all get good right ups.

Tyres, GP4000 are good all round road tyres, if low puncture rates are high on your priority list and you are happy to sacrifice a bit of speed maybe look at Gatorskins or Schwalbe Marathons, or you could fit tyre liners/Slime tubes.
  • STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    jaffajim0 wrote:
    How much would an lbs charge to do a complete set up?

1 Of the lbs's round here (avon valley cycles) quoted me about 90 quid to completely build and set up a bike but i thought that was a rip off so done it my-self with the help of my dad and brother. I have since noticed that they seem quite expensive on everything so might not be that much in most places. Ring some up and ask.
  • Tempestas
    Tempestas Posts: 486
    £90 I would hope to be for a complete strip down and rebuild, a basic checkover to make sure all is working should only cost in the region of £30. But after some stories it could be worth getting them to check BB for grease, seat post for grease and that the brake cables and chain have also been lubed.
  • 2tired2ride
    2tired2ride Posts: 285
    The saddle is quite like Fizik ones. I find the standard saddle really comfy. I think if you like Fiziks I think you'll like this saddle.
    "If we all had hardtails we'd all go down the hill, just slower"
    Nick Larsen

Voodoo D-Jab Ti
    Boardman Road Team 09
    Boardman Urban Team 08
    Falcon 3 Speed