GPS Problems

Dog Breath
Dog Breath Posts: 314
edited April 2009 in The bottom bracket
Have been using the GPSMap 60CS for several years mainly for walking, but more recently on my bike. However, I have been suffering some problems, the worst being it bouncing out of it’s cradle on the Cheshire Cat Sportive and bouncing down the road. The screen cover came off but surprisingly, the unit still worked. :(:)

More frustrating is that it is prone to switching itself off when on rough roads (such as worn chipping surfaces) or hitting other sharp bumps in the road which are numerous. I’m guessing that the severe vibration is causing a bad contact in the battery compartment which causes it to shut down. I find that the vibration is much worse on the road bike than when I’m mountain biking.

In spite of making the batteries fit tighter by packing them out with small pieces of rubber, this still occurs. Again on the Cheshire Cat, this must have shut itself down 25+ times. As I said, very frustrating.

I’m considering using a more bike specific GPS such as the Edge 605. Can anyone give me some feedback on this device and does anyone experience similar problems with it as I have been with my 60CS

Cheers

DB
Planet-X SL Pro Carbon.
Tifosi CK3 Winter Bike
Planet X London Road Disc
Planet X RT80 Elite

Comments

• Simon Notley
    Simon Notley Posts: 1,263
    I have a Garmin 305 which developed the same problem with switching off on rough surfaces. Garmin replaced it straight away as it was within the warranty period. I don;t know if the design has changed for the newer units.

Simon
  • kettrinboy
    kettrinboy Posts: 613
    had my 305 since Nov 06 and done 13000 miles on it i use it on my MTB and road bike and its never switched off once on some really rough surfaces , i think with these Garmin units its a matter of luck whether you get a good un or a bad un, i think mines a good un, although i did have an issue with it draining its battery overnight even though it was switched off but it seems to have cured itself it hasnt done it for ages now, other than that it hasnt missed a beat and i,m well pleased with it
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I was going to post about this, on routes my Garmin 605 keeps switching off on route, usually when I am switching through the menu's, it does my head it. Must be faulty firmware and not hardware though.