Fitting a new fork - advice please

craker
craker Posts: 1,739
edited March 2009 in Workshop
- is it possible to get the star fangled nut out of the aluminium steerer of my old fork, I guess they are cheap and easy to get hold of.
- Is there a technique for cutting the steerer nice and square? Any other tools useful other than a hacksaw?
- I'm tempted to leave the steerer overlong and put spacers on top as well as below (15 mm or so). Any reason why I shouldn't?

Thanks

Comments

• blu3cat
    blu3cat Posts: 1,016
    In terms of cutting the steerer, try a pipe cutter if its aluminium / Steel, should give you a nice square cut and tends to be a bit neater than the hacksaw option..
    "Bed is for sleepy people.
    Let's get a kebab and go to a disco."

FCN = 3 - 5
    Colnago World Cup 2
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    1. You can bash them out but as you say, new ones cost nowt so usually I just fit a new one instead.

2. You can get handsaw guides (which are excellent) or just use an old stem as a guide.

3. No reason not to. Too much (>20mm) looks a bit odd but until you're 100% on the setup, it's a handy idea. For carbon steeerers there's an argument to leave the steerer a little long, so that the stem has less chance to crush the steerer.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer