Paris Roubaix/Ghent Wevelgem

peejay78
peejay78 Posts: 3,378
edited April 2009 in Pro race
I'm going over to watch these races next week. I don't drive, but will have my bicycle.

For those who have been before, do you have any recommendations on where to watch? i'm thinking saturday for the signing on for PR, then maybe roubaix, around the velodrome? I was going to do some riding along the cobbles on other days.

not sure about G-W. any ideas? suggestions? all gratefully received, even if it's 'don't take the bike to the race'.

Comments

• Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    You can see the signing on and then drive up the motorway. For me, the best place is the Carrefour de l'Arbre section, it is late in the race and reasonably tough and you should see the winner of the race in the lead. There is a bar that opens once a year for the race, serving local Northern French/Flemish food and local beers and the atmosphere is great. Take a portable radio, you can listen live to the race as you wait for the riders to approach.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Not having a car obviously limits your choices - for out on the course, it's got to be either Arenberg or Carrefour - the 2 toughest sectors on the course, or at the Velodrome - there is a big screen to follow the race action as it happens. Arrive early for the choice spots. For Ghent-Wevelgem the race passes over the Kemmelberg a couple of times - downhill pave at the best of times is a nightmare for any rider - just ask Jimmy Casper, so that would be the best spot.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • peejay78
    peejay78 Posts: 3,378
    cool; great advice.

is it possible to get into the velodrome on the day?
  • There's a separte thread for Paris Roubaix with lots of different suggestions on how to see that race, but I've been to Gent Wevelgem a couple of times and would suggest going to the Kemmelberg. Don't bother going to the start, the crowds are pretty big and most of it is "cagged" off for VIP's.

There's a bit of parking in the square in Kemmel (if you get there early enough) and then you can walk up the road to the Kemmelberg. After the riders had come through we walked back into Kemmel and watched the finish on TV through the window of a cake shop!

Also there is a race the following day, the GP Pino Cerami which is also only a short drive away, but I think it's been cancelled this year.

http://www.gent-wevelgem.be
  • Oh, hold on, just noticed that you don't drive. Still head for the Kemmelberg, best place to see the race. Not sure they use the descent they did in 2007, didn't they change it in some way last year. Last time I went was in 2007 and I decided to watch on the descent. I've got some video somewhere I keep meaning to upload to You Tube. It was VERY scary!

As for Paris Roubaix I would suggest heading for the Carrefour. You should be able to see the race at Cysoing and then ride across to the Carrefour to see the race again. Probably the best way to see it if your on a bike. And make sure you take lots of warm clothes, it's very exposed there and you will get very cold standing around waiting for the race (depending on what the weather is like).
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    If you're on the descent of the Kemmelberg, plenty of opportunity to collect souvenir bidons that get ejected from bottle cages! A clubmate regailed his first race experience of the Kemmelberg when all the Flemish riders took their bottle out their cages and put them into their jersey pockets - thinking they were about to come to a feed station, my mate dumps his bottle and then found out why they removed their bottles! Needless to say he bonked terribly! There must be plenty of Youtube clips of the race 2 years ago and Jimmy Casper's faceplant - ouch! A statutory lesson in too stiff bike, stiff wheels and too much tyre pressure
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Never mind getting bidons as souvenirs, if you were there in 2007 you could have got some of Jimmy Casper's teeth! A nice memento of the day :lol: :shock:

I think they changed the route last year, didn't they? The still climb the Kemmelberg, but use a safer descent (they turn off at the top and go down a tarmac road instead of a cobbled one).
  • I can confirm that the riders do not take the dangerous cobble stone descent anymore. Instead of going right after the top, they go left and take a very small asphalt road, with a 90 degrees turn in it. No spectators are allowed there. Also the other races including the Kemmelberg take this new descent, such as Driedaagse van West-Vlaanderen and Driedaagse van de Panne (which is on this week).

In the area around the Kemmelberg you can find a lot of bed & breakfasts. Also, taking your bike on the train is possible in Belgium, but you need a separate ticket for it and usually it is not clear where you can leave your bike, so you have to anticipate very quickly when the train arrives (and find the right railway employee).

And in between G-W and P-R, I suggest you could visit the Tour of Flanders museum in Oudenaarde, which is 40 k from Roubaix and easy to reach by public transport (yes, I am advertising again, but I'm proud of the area where I live ;))
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    peejay78 wrote:
    cool; great advice.

is it possible to get into the velodrome on the day?
    Yes, on a first come, first served basis.

If you can you should visit the West Vleteren monastery and sample the beer. It's superb.
  • andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    andyp wrote:
    If you can you should visit the West Vleteren monastery and sample the beer. It's superb.
    It's a proper Trappist monastery - no visitors, no unnecessary conversation etc. They sell only as much beer as is required for the support of the monastery, with sales limited to orders phoned in in advance for pickup at the listed times (max 2 or 3 cases, in an attempt to limit commercial resales).
    There is however a cafe just opposite the entrance where you can sample the beers and cheeses they produce. There are also a few other cafes that sometimes sell beer they've "acquired" through unofficial channels - we found one in Poperinge.
    I agree though, the 12 was the best beer I've tried in 4 visits to Flanders.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    And in between G-W and P-R, I suggest you could visit the Tour of Flanders museum in Oudenaarde, which is 40 k from Roubaix and easy to reach by public transport

(yes, I am advertising again, but I'm proud of the area where I live ;))
    While any of you are there, then just a thought of the Bodies you are Riding Over from the WW 1.
    That's most of the way down the P-R route and Poperinge and Kemmel on G-W.

I'm sorry but when cycling, driving or just standing around there, then I think a lot of that "Time".

You do know about the "Formule 1" and "Premiere Classe" motels at Compiegne, Valenciennes and about 8 or 7 in the Lille Region. (both with one in Tourcoing)
    I've stayed at these on my own with the bike in the room and only one place objected.

God Bless the Belgians, because "EVERY" night at 2000 hrs (8pm) they play the "Last Post" in IEPER at the MENEN Gate Memorial.
    At least some Belgians are thankful for us.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • klc
    klc Posts: 2
    Looks like weather may cooperate for a pleasant Ghent-Wevelgem tomorrow. I am visiting Paris from U.S. at the moment and hope to get to Belgium to see the Kimmel climb. Any advice on public transport in the area? So far I have found trains to Lille...but then about 20K remain. I see bike rental available at Lille-Flanders train station, but am concerned they might all be rented out tomorrow. Any suggestions are most welcome! Thank you!
  • Ratkilla
    Ratkilla Posts: 230
    klc - have a look at this ...

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query. ... crollDir=2

From Ieper I'm sure that you'll find a way to Kemmel. Good luck!
  • klc
    klc Posts: 2
    Thanks so much, Ieper looks much closer to the action on the Kemmel than does Lille!