Stuck Lockring

disgruntledgoat
disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
edited March 2009 in Workshop
Just put my new 12-25 cassette onto my wheel, and I think I may have overtightened the lockring. Cannot shift it at all when I try to get it off. I noted when I put it on that the ridgy bits (technical term) on the bottom sprocket and the lockring were grinding together... And yet i kept on tightening. Have i just consigned my wheels to the life of one cassette?
"In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent

Comments

• cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    there should be a scratchy clicky noise when tightening the lockring...casued by the 'ridgy bits' on the underside of the lockring....

they are a total beast to get off, I broke a chain whip on saturday. persevere :wink:
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • It's a shame wheels are round... Cos it makes standing on the handle of my lockring tool impossible!

I managed to wedge my chainwhip inbetween two sprockets on my last attempt. Curiously, my other cassette with the 11 sprocket is pretty simple to get on and off... Must be the increased surface area of ridges to grip each other.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    If all else fails just take it to the LBS. It will probably take them about 30 secs. to remove it. BTW It's not necessary to use massive amounts of torque to tighten the lockring. The ridgy bits (serrations or teeth) provide grip to keep the lockring from backing off.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    Stick extension bars on your spanner and chain whip.
  • juggler
    juggler Posts: 262
    Try spraying liberally with Wd40, leave for a while and then try to unscrew lockeing - should work.
  • If all else fails just take it to the LBS. It will probably take them about 30 secs. to remove it. BTW It's not necessary to use massive amounts of torque to tighten the lockring. The ridgy bits (serrations or teeth) provide grip to keep the lockring from backing off.

I did think that... It's probably a combination of not having a big enough lever and my weedy climbers arms. One assumes that Charley Gaul simply never changed his own sprockets.

@gietvangent