Is it possible to raise my Handlebars

paulieb2006
paulieb2006 Posts: 318
edited April 2009 in Road beginners
Does anybody know if it is possible to raise handlebars, or is the headset set at one length. Have an FSA headset and Bars. Will raising them make it easier to get onto the drops or should I get a shorter stem (110mm). Loosing a few pounds will help me to get onto the drops I know but I am working on that. Thanks

Comments

• John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    If you have any spacers above the stem you can fit them below it. Most stems can also be 'flipped'. If you turn it over it will point up more. It does not look so good but comfort is more important.
  • acorn_user
    acorn_user Posts: 1,137
    There are steerer tube extenders that you can buy, or you could buy a new stem with a lot of rise, eg 35 or 17 degrees. If you have a quill stem (unlikely), you could buy a Nitto Technomic.
  • topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    Hi, suggest you post a picture of your bike so we can see what you are starting with rather than guessing :wink:
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    A good idea Topdude. We have to do far too much second guessing due to lack of information. You then end up with a load of mainly irrelevent replies.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    59915919b67b5a8911b39c72c53caa096832b121b2b38fa30be730df8794517b853da0d1.jpg

You can flip your stem, and you could get a stem with a bigger angle and flip that.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    Excellent photo, as redddraggon said, first option is to flip the stem over, that will give you quite a big rise. The second option is to try a stem with shorter length or higher rise.
    Anticipating your next question :wink:
    Remove the top cap
    Remove handlebars and computer
    Loosen stem bolts and turn stem over
    Do not tighten stem bolts yet
    Refit top cap and tighten just enough to remove play from the headset bearings
    Then tighten stem bolts and refit handlebars.
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    My stem's flipped so it points upwards. 'Twas the only way to get a proper fit for me as i'm a bit of an odd shape (longer legs / shorter . I think it looks OK, and it's certainly better than riding around with my @rse higher than my head.