MTB GPS Advice Needed ASAP

andyl09
andyl09 Posts: 13
edited April 2009 in XC and Enduro
Hi,

I am riding HONC this sunday and I would like to get a GPS unit to guide me round. I dont want to spend much so looked into the Garmin Edge 205 but I can't figure out if this is actually a GPS navigator or just a fitness trainer? Can anyone clear this up for me and give me a bit of info on how these systems work?

The HONC website has "tracklogs" and "GPX" files for download. Are these compatible with the Edge 205?

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• andyl09
    Further to this I have found the following unit:

Garmin eTrex Venture HC

Would this be suitable for HONC?
  • Bighead
    Bighead Posts: 260
    Hi I am not entirly sure what HONC is but I have a Garmin etrex legend and that works fine with GPX routes (you can put them on there from a computer). The Garmin bike mount is not that good as it rattles around and doesn't give the impression that it is secured on there that well. Instead I went for a RAM mount.

I had to purchase the maps seperatly so you might want to looking into that aspect also. I have negotiated a 90 mile route without the mapping software installed but the ability todo so depends on how good the gpx file is.
  • andyl09
    HONC = Hell Of The North Cotswolds. Its 1 100km off road enduro ride. Thanks for the info. Any other help greatly appreciated.
  • I have a Garmin Edge (305) but basically the same as the 205.

2 limitations, - battery life is only about 6 hours
    - any route can only be a maximum of 100 way points, so you may have to split longer rides up in to smaller sections.

But, yes it will navigate and point you to the next way point. I use mine with Memory Map, I'm not exactly sure how you'd send route information without using Memory Map or similar but I would think you can do
  • ACDCwmb
    ACDCwmb Posts: 225
    I have a Garmin GPS60, pretty basic point to point navigation, used along with memory map. The whole set up is simple and easy to use, I used it on last years 100k HONC with no problems.
    [url]uttp://farm3.static.flickr.com/2453/3644058624_66a72402ee.jpg/]Hardtail[/url]