Saxo Bank Switch to SRAM

teagar
teagar Posts: 2,100
edited March 2009 in Pro race
It appears Saxo Bank have snubbed Shimano for SRAM.

A kick in the balls for Shimano?

Proof that SRAM is probably the best set out there? Or is it just a money spinner?

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/s ... -red-21029

I have to say, since CSC and saxo bank always claimed they bought their groupsets because they always wanted the best I figured that whatever they rode with probably was.
Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.

Comments

• teagar wrote:
    It appears Saxo Bank have snubbed Shimano for SRAM.

A kick in the balls for Shimano?

Proof that SRAM is probably the best set out there? Or is it just a money spinner?

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/s ... -red-21029

I have to say, since CSC and saxo bank always claimed they bought their groupsets because they always wanted the best I figured that whatever they rode with probably was.

So would that then mean Campag Record was the worst groupset out of the 3 flagship models !!!

Red
    Dura-Ace
    Record

( waits for response from campag fan boys )
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    The headline should be "SRAM offers pays cash-strapped Saxo more money than Shimano or Campagnolo". Riis runs the team as a business, so any "profit" at the end of the year is his. With the quick disappearance of The IT Factory just before the season started, a hole was left in the budget.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    I suspect quite a lot of the 'best kit at any price' ethos left with Cervelo and is residing with the Test Team.

Strava is not Zen.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Theres b*gger all difference between groupsets. Its the riders that are important.

I'd happily ride any top groupset if it was given to me. (hint hint)
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Actually the SRAM brakes are a bit weaker than Campagnolo, which are little bit softer than Shimano's Dura-Ace but that's about it and yes, the performance difference is minimal. It's all about money, convincing fans that one group is better and SRAM needs to work hard to break the Shimano-Campagnolo duopoly, especially with FSA close to launching a full groupset.
  • kickerbri
    kickerbri Posts: 53
    I would imagine this was more to do with money than the quality of the groupsets. The collapse of IT Factory must have left a whole in Riis pocket.
  • drenkrom
    drenkrom Posts: 1,062
    If it was trully the team buying the gruppos and using them because they are the best, there wouldn't be a press release, would there? The mere fact that SRAM can advertise that Saxo use their gear underlines the existence of a sponsorship contract. And a sweet one it must've been, as it probably included the buyout of the Shimano deal.

Seeing the North American bike market, I'd imagine Shimano are quite a few sponsorships away from getting too nervous.