Whinlatter Challenge...

thefosterkid
thefosterkid Posts: 33
edited April 2009 in XC and Enduro
Ok so that was my first ebduro event and although I've been training for a Merida in the summer I thought that was pretty bloody tough. I over heard the guys at Cyclewise saying that they are going to make it shorter/easyer next year. Great weather though and there are some great sections on the Altura Trail.

Did anyone else find it tough? I heard somemone from Wheelbase may even have said they found it hard going.

Comments

• John Moore
    John Moore Posts: 580
    EVERYONE found it tough, if you put in a good time and completed the whole course then you don't need to worry about any of the Merida's. This WAS harder than any of them.

What time did you do BTW?
  • 320DMsport
    320DMsport Posts: 306
    I did the event today and it was tough, tougher thatn GMBC i think, and 36 miles isn't approx 30 but i don't think they should make it easier next year as it's supposed to be tough and challenging.

I enjoyed it and the weather was brill.

Never done a merida so that's interesting that they aren't as tough.

Results are up on www.sportident.co.uk, loads of DNF's which goes to show how hard it was.
  • SiLanc
    SiLanc Posts: 180
    I didn't have the best run up to this one and decided to ride for fun rather than worry about position...it's not a race after all ;-)

It was very tough...36 miles, 6500 feet of climbing...was it ten climbs on each lap? It was incredible weather and a real challenge...keep the challenge in next year, it's a challenge to finish I want...not a race.

I finished up in 4h 51m and was absolutely wrecked and cramping up. The only down side was that the marshalls didn't seem to know what was going on. I left some bottles by the start line after talking to a marshal and when I got to the first water stop I was told the start line was coming up so I carried on...when I got to the bottom of the first singletrack section and to the gap in the fence I realised we weren't going to go back through the start so then had to dodge riders and walk back up the singeltrack to get some water! Other than that it was a great event. Well done to all concerned!

Are there any photo's kicking about? There were quite a few photographers there.
    Lap by lap analysis, videos, photos, race reports and a map of race locations www.xcenduro.co.uk
  • 320DMsport
    320DMsport Posts: 306
    Silanc did you have a altimeter type thing?

There wa alot of climbing, don't know how many climbs there was, felt like one lap of climbing with a few descents.

I did 4hr 13min 04 sec and my legs were borderline cramp on the last single track, made it to the end with a sprint but couldn't cycle up the hill to the car park after the event.

I'm sure they organisers will be getting complaints about how hard it was but it's supposed to be?

Well done to em anyway.
  • SiLanc
    I read those values off another forum posting...sounded about right to be honest, if not more! I hope they keep it as tough as it was...I think there will be very few people who didn't think that was tough. Some of those descents were crazy...think that's why I liked the toughness of it....you don't usually get such technical stuff in XC races, granted that this wasn't a race, but all the more reason I think to leave in all the difficult terrain...some guy got a shot of me descending over some of those roots and stumps on the last descent...it was pretty dicy stuf with mud tyres on...would love to see the look on my face in the photo. Sheer panic!
    Lap by lap analysis, videos, photos, race reports and a map of race locations www.xcenduro.co.uk
  • Plenty of photos knocking about on flickr. My Dad took a heck of a lot of, if you post your race number I can see if he has any of you? Or look at the 5 he's posted up:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/35545794@N04/

Back to the event though, I found it very dull, not in the same league as GMBC (which is run by the same people I believe?). I appreciate that Enduro's will have fire-track, but that much was just mind-numbing. I didn't think much of the singletrack descents either. A tough event yes, but I found it mentally tough just through the sheer boredom of it! Not impressed to be honest.
  • John Moore
    Any of 277 on the odd looking bike?

If so please let me know and post it on Flickr for me.

Ta
  • John Moore wrote:

Ta

you weren't on the single speed?
  • John Moore
    John Moore wrote:

Ta

you weren't on the single speed?

Yep that was me :roll:
  • I'm the dude that passed you on the start off the second lap on the red S WORKS and red specialized kit that couldn't believe you where doing it on the single speed

Hats off to you sir very very impressed!! :D
  • pinarellodude- didn't think you got as far as the 2nd lap? :lol:

John Moore- I'll let you know if I find one. You passed me on the 2nd lap, I was too fed up and bored to respect you for being on a singlespeed or try chase you down!
  • John Moore
    John Moore- I'll let you know if I find one. You passed me on the 2nd lap, I was too fed up and bored to respect you for being on a singlespeed or try chase you down!

:oops:
  • pinarellodude- didn't think you got as far as the 2nd lap? :lol:

!

My front tube and back decided to pull over just before the very last climb, daft I know but was seeing my arse over a slow front tyre that needed pumping up every 10-15 mins and no spare to fix it .So got a lovely cuppa and warmed the car for you.
  • John- you have received a message on Flickr re the photo.
  • John Moore
    Rplied, thanks
  • Plenty of photos knocking about on flickr. My Dad took a heck of a lot of, if you post your race number I can see if he has any of you? Or look at the 5 he's posted up:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/35545794@N04/

Back to the event though, I found it very dull, not in the same league as GMBC (which is run by the same people I believe?). I appreciate that Enduro's will have fire-track, but that much was just mind-numbing. I didn't think much of the singletrack descents either. A tough event yes, but I found it mentally tough just through the sheer boredom of it! Not impressed to be honest.

138 dude!

I still love Whinlatters trails thought I think it's really well designed. Just a shame the rest of the course was all fireroad slog after fire road slog. At least I know now that I won't have any problems with my Merida in the summer!!
  • John Moore
    How come you didn't finish Tim?

How far did you get round?
  • Have you any pics of 262, I sent you a mail on flickr.
    The memory map photos are mine, I only completed 21 miles, my GPS reckoned 4000ft of ascent on the first lap and a bit.
    I did the Grizedale challenge last year and that was more fun, the fire road climbs were hard work and I couldn't face them again after the first lap so I retired and went to the pub for tea.
    It is a challenge but I would like more of the altura trail in there for next time.
  • I went to see what the challenge was like as a precursor to a merida. Started with cramp at 25 or so miles (don't have a GPS or Cateye) then my dodgy knee (broken femur in 2000, lots of metal in leg) started to ache just after the road section on the second lap. I got round to the visitor centre and realised that my girlfriend had been waiting since 2:30 and it was 5:00 so very reluctantly I retired. I was completely gutted and really disapointed with myself but I was in alot of pain with my leg and I had done what I set out to achive (in a sense) by completing over 30 miles. Can anyone confirm how far that would have been? By my reckoning it would be about 33/34 miles?

It has made me more determined than ever to train harder.
  • John Moore
    The whole course we 36.6 miles so I was told but someone with a GPS
  • SiLanc
    Hi Once In A Blue Moon,

I was rider 224. I've emailed your Dad on Flickr but heard nothing, he's no doubt inundated with emails!

Any chance you have a photo of a very tired looking 224? :)

Cheers

Si
  • Hi Silanc

He won't be on flickr until this evening (no internet at work hehe!). I don't have the photos myself, but he'll no doubt get back to you later. :wink:
  • SiLanc
    Great, thanks. He's took some great photo's so I'm hoping he's got one of me (not looking too much like I'm suffering of course!).

Si
  • sirhodes
    sirhodes Posts: 35
    I was rider 332. I completed in 5hrs 8mins. It was definately one of the hardest races I have ever done. I've done the 75km courses at Penrith and Selkirk on the Merida marathons. The only one that may have been tougher was 2007 Merida's 1st ever marathon at Penrith. There was a hill on that which you had to carry your bike up. I did the 75km and my legs were gone by the last hour, although it was my first ever event.

I can't seem to find the results on Sportident's website.
  • SiLanc
  • sirhodes
    sirhodes Posts: 35
  • pps_one
    pps_one Posts: 5
    Any pics of me, number 378, bright green Commencal, that would be awesome. Not a member of Flikr though, so, your dad should be able to give me direct links, if he has any?
  • Hi Silanc

He won't be on flickr until this evening (no internet at work hehe!). I don't have the photos myself, but he'll no doubt get back to you later. :wink:

Your Dad is going to be more knackered than i was doing the ride sorting everybody out with the pics! any pics of rider 162? not a member of flickr so if he has a photo please send on to mark@hanson3041.freeserve.co.uk
    Thanks Mark
  • Check out this guys if you were there.....

http://jasonchambersphotography.blogspot.com/

Thanks

Jase