Do you carry a chain tool and links when out on the bike?

jon208
jon208 Posts: 335
edited March 2009 in Workshop
When I'm out on the MTB I always carry a small Park chain tool and a couple of Sram powerlinks but for some reason don't bother when I'm on the road bike. Now given that the road bike takes me much further away from home than the MTB usually does there probably isn't much sense in that.

What does everyone else do? Only ever snapped one chain (MTB - which went at the suspect black Shimano connection pin......) in 16 years of cycling.......

Comments

• e999sam
    e999sam Posts: 426
    No just wait for someone on an mtb to turn up and use theirs. This has actually happened recently on a club run.
  • LeighB
    LeighB Posts: 326
    Never had a chain break but always carry chain tool and spare links.
  • careful
    careful Posts: 720
    LeighB said
    Never had a chain break but always carry chain tool and spare links.

Me too. Maybe thats why im called 'Careful' but a broken chain miles from help could really spoil your day.
  • croggy
    croggy Posts: 116
    Last month I had a chain break-SRAM PC951-first time in 30 years of cycling.I always carry a chain tool so it was just a matter of removing the broken link and rejoining the chain.
  • kozzo
    kozzo Posts: 182
    I just carry additional quick link.
    Repair is much quicker and easier than with chain tool and additional links.
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    If you rip off the rear mech, which I've seen a few times, you can with a chain tool shorten the chain and ride it as fara s you need. With only quick links you're kind of stuffed.
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • kozzo
    I can shorten the chain removing broken link without tool and close it with quicklink.
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    When I've seen it done the chain has had to be significantly shortened to get it to a point where it is relying on its own tension to stay on the cassette (seeing as the broken mech isn't there to keep chain tension), so how are you taking out this amount of links without a chain tool?
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    I carry a KMC link + park chain tool, I don't bother with spare normal links though (just want enough to frig it so I can make it home)
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    I too am curious on how you can safely take links out of a chain without a chain tool.

I carry a few spares and tools in an under seat pack. it does weigh more but I won't ride without it.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • kozzo
    Turning and crakcing on the left and right side.
    External link plate is lost but chain is open and closed by quicklink.
  • Mister W
    Mister W Posts: 791
    I have a little chain tool on my multi-tool in my seat pack. I don't carry spare pins or links but any chain repair would just be to get me home. I have had to use it once, when the chain jumped on the tandem.
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    kozzo wrote:
    Turning and crakcing on the left and right side.
    External link plate is lost but chain is open and closed by quicklink.

I thought as much. I'd be too worried that I'd weakened too many other links.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    jon208 wrote:
    When I'm out on the MTB I always carry a small Park chain tool and a couple of Sram powerlinks but for some reason don't bother when I'm on the road bike. Now given that the road bike takes me much further away from home than the MTB usually does there probably isn't much sense in that.

What does everyone else do?.

Same as you! My reasoning is that the couple of times I've broken them on the MTB there's been bad chainsuck and they've taken a battering first. I think they're very unlikely to snap of their own accord so don't worry about it so much on the road.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Powerlinks snap too :wink:

c5b0d0f7f6cd4c3388c840af40570bea.jpg
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • woody-som
    woody-som Posts: 1,001
    always carry a multi-tool that includes chain tool, and a spare set of quick links. Funny though, I had the quicklinks break (twice) in 5 years, but never the actual chain, once on the MTB and once on the road bike.