Carbon Wheels Durability

NWLondoner
NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
edited April 2009 in The bottom bracket
What would you say are the pros and cons of having carbon wheels/rims?

Would you say they could/would/should be used for NON racing use for example all round use?

Comments

• don key
    don key Posts: 494
    They are incomparable, stunning wheels. Campagnola Boras I mean, the shock I got when I tried to jump across last summer was funny as I could do more or less what ever I liked. I used them recently in a windy race(only on the back) and when chasing I was easily passing other chasers and they werent hangers on on.They were competitors rather than the former. The only time I dont like them is at Hog Hill where nothing will make it easy. All told they tranformed my racing ability and enjoyment in a way that nothing else has.

Everything I use now is much better than even a couple of years ago, so just saying it is the Boras is probably not accurate but they even are allowed to sleep with me and I never hear them coming which is a major complaint about them.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Firstly, by carbon, I'm assuming you mean aero? By aero, you're typically looking at a rim at 40-50mm and deeper - an optimum aero shape is 3:1 ratio, otherwise the benefits are reduced, but likewise, they don't really provide real benefit above 40kph. In comparison to a conventional shallow rim, you will find a perceptible difference at high speed - noticably above 50kph i.e. downhill and sprints. The downside, particularly with all-carbon rims is braking - you simply don't get the same 'bite' and their fragility - hitting a pothole can wreck a rim. Some have an aluminium rim for improved braking, but the downside is increased weight. It really depends on the type of riding you're doing - for lots of high-speed riding and racing, then yes, you will notice the benefits but for general riding less so, particularly as they are less durable. Buy a pair for 'best' but keep a pair of conventional wheels for training and wet rides IME.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • LardLover
    LardLover Posts: 676
    Who cares whether they could/would/should be used for NON racing use :roll: , the only question is:

"Will they make my bike look lush?"

And the answer is, or course, YES :wink:
  • agnello
    agnello Posts: 239
    I thought true aero was 4:1

hence the UCI allowing 3:1
    Stumpjumper FSR Comp
    Eddy Merckx Strada
    Gios Compact KK
    Raleigh Dynatech Diablo
    Canyon CF CLX / Record
    Charge Plug 3
    Kinesis GF Ti disc - WIP...
  • STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    don key wrote:
    they even are allowed to sleep with me and I never hear them coming which is a major complaint about them.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :roll: :arrow:
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Your title uses the word "durability", yet I get a sense that you aren't all that interested
    in it. If you want them for looks just say so, buy them, and ride them. As for durable, well,
    I doubt that they will last anywhere near as long(with daily use) as a set of 32 spoke
    hand builts and will probably prove harder and more expensive to fix. Not to mention the
    cost of actually buying them. Are they "better" wheels? Depends on your definition of "better". They will more than likely be a bit quicker accelerating, prettier, and more aero. Those are your choices IMHO. Carbon rims do make a fairly distinctive sound when they crack, so you'll know when it's dead.

Dennis Noward
  • NWLondoner
    dennisn wrote:
    Your title uses the word "durability", yet I get a sense that you aren't all that interested
    in it. If you want them for looks just say so, buy them, and ride them.
    Dennis Noward

Your senses must be out of kilter then. As i WAS/AM interested in the durability of them. Thankfully the others have answered my question in good faith and their replies seem to suggest that they are not really for me as the pro's outweigh the pro's for me at the present time.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Plenty of people on weightweenies run deep carbons as daily wheels, and the durability seems fine - they seem to get higher mileage out of carbon rims compared to Al rims WRT braking surfaces (but perhaps they only run them in the dry).
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • NWLondoner
    Plenty of people on weightweenies run deep carbons as daily wheels, and the durability seems fine - they seem to get higher mileage out of carbon rims compared to Al rims WRT braking surfaces (but perhaps they only run them in the dry).

I have read and heard ,any time that braking in wet conditions on carbon is not as good but i would probably only use them in summer months.

My main worry is that the road conditions around here and where i ride are like they have been cluster bombed by the USAF!!!
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    NWLondoner wrote:
    I have read and heard ,any time that braking in wet conditions on carbon is not as good but i would probably only use them in summer months.

My main worry is that the road conditions around here and where i ride are like they have been cluster bombed by the USAF!!!

City roads aren't that bad. A lot of the roads I ride on (in N. Wales and the Peaks) are really nothing more than farm tracks, and I wouldn't see any issue with getting carbon wheels.

Maaskrant came 4th at Roubaix last year with carbon wheels, so they definitely ain't as brittle as people make out.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Homer J
    Homer J Posts: 920
    Whilst on the subject of carbon wheels. I've noticed in races that you can hear them coming a mile away, making a right old racket! What is it that makes them do that?