How do you know tyre pressure on the road?

Scrumple
Scrumple Posts: 2,665
edited March 2009 in Road beginners

It just occured to me, as a new cyclist, that I have a bike and a mni pump (Lezyne Road Drive). I may also get CO2.

People talk of not getting up to over 100psi, BUT how do you know? How do you check when you are fixing a p**ctu*e?

Do I need to buy and carry a gauge???

Comments

• pictit
    pictit Posts: 603
    Scrumple wrote:

It just occured to me, as a new cyclist, that I have a bike and a mni pump (Lezyene Road Drive). I may also get CO2.

People talk of not getting up to over 100psi, BUT how do you know? How do you check when you are fixing a p**ctu*e?

Do I need to buy and carry a gauge???

Before every ride pump tyres up to desired pressure.
    Using mini-pump after 'a flat' just pump up as hard as you can get it as I doubt you will get close to,never mind over,100 psi.Don't know about CO2 thingy's but after my last farcical and futile attempt with a mini-pump I am looking into this option !!
  • careful
    careful Posts: 720
    Few riders carry any sort of pressure gauge unless their pump has one. The Lezyne is a great pump but I have never managed to get anywhere near 100 psi which is a typical pressure for road tyres. Just pump it up as hard as you can, it should be enough to get you home. I also carry a CO2 which will reach 100 psi no problem. When you cannot press the tyre in at all with your thumb, stop filling as you can over-pressurize. Do you have a track pump with a pressure gauge at home? If so, let a tyre down then try inflating it with the Lezyne till you are Kna***ered. Then test the pressure, then buy a CO2 pump (unless you are superman). It is still worth carrying the Lezyne in case you run out of cartridges and is useful for putting a little pressure into the tube if you need to do roadside puncture repairs.
  • dazzawazza
    dazzawazza Posts: 462
    The Top Peak Road Morph has a gauge and easily gets tyres over 100PSI, however it is slightly larger than a mini pump; but is still quite light and compact.
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    The latest Lezyne borochure does have a replacement valve/hose to go in one of their pumps. It has a built in pressure gauge, and would be ideal.....

Trouble is, can't find it for sale anywhere in the UK.

Guess I'll stick to the guesswork most of you seem to use. I'm sure I can get it hard enough to get home. Ohhh err...
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    If you have a gauge at home pump up to the correct pressure and just test it by pushing your thumb into the tyre to get an idea of how firm it should be. Far from scientific but short of carrying a gauge you don't have much other choice. Can get 120psi in from my Topeak Road Morph (but over 100psi is a struggle and not really needed to get you home), I'd be happy enough getting 80psi in really.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I have the Topeak Road Morph which includes a rudimentary gauge, but to be honest my eyesight has deteriorated to the extent that I can't read it without my reading glasses, and I'm not taking those out on a ride. I just do it by feel, and if the tyre doesn't look too squashy when I sit on the bike. So far so good.
  • on the road
    on the road Posts: 5,631
    Just keep pumping until you collapse in a heap, then you'll know you've got it reasonably close to 100 psi :lol:
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    I second the advice already given. If you're fixing it on the road with a handpump, you are not going to get anywhere near your target of 100 psi, so just pump it up as hard as you can!
  • woody-som
    woody-som Posts: 1,001
    just pump it up until you can't or only just push the tyre tread inwards with your thumb, that works for me.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    dazzawazza wrote:
    The Top Peak Road Morph has a gauge and easily gets tyres over 100PSI, however it is slightly larger than a mini pump; but is still quite light and compact.

Gets my vote.

Dennis Noward