Allez doesnt freewheel any more

rplavery
rplavery Posts: 27
edited March 2009 in Workshop
Hi,
My Allez has stopped freewheeling- well its really stiff, and turning the back wheel forward results in the chain being pushed forward, and about to come off.
Do I need a new freehub body, or does it just need opening up and cleaning. Is this a specalist job, or perhaps I should just time the opportunity for a wheel upgrade?

thanks in advance.

Comments

• John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    Have you taken the wheel out of the bike and tried to spin it on the axle ? When did you last ride the bike? winter is cruel on hubs.
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    rplavery wrote:
    Hi,
    My Allez has stopped freewheeling- well its really stiff, and turning the back wheel forward results in the chain being pushed forward, and about to come off.
    Do I need a new freehub body, or does it just need opening up and cleaning. Is this a specalist job, or perhaps I should just time the opportunity for a wheel upgrade?

thanks in advance.

Sounds like your free hub is knackered. It may be possible to get it going again, but chances are you'll never have it totally reliable.
    No idea how hard spesh freehubs are to change. Shimano are easy enough.
  • rplavery
    rplavery Posts: 27
    well I took it to the LBS today, and yes its the freehub, and they would have had to order it, so got a new wheel instead - Mach 1 Omega with Tiagra hub, dont know if much better. Only double the cost of a new freehub and fitting. At least I have the bike back working, and I am looking at what new bike I can buy with this year's cycle to work scheme anyway, so the Allez will be the winter bike.
    thanks for the advice anyway.