Mettan Posts: 2,103
edited April 2009 in The bottom bracket
Good article in the Mail: Sir Alan, on his Pinarello:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... tone-.html

Comments

• Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    Fantastic! :D

But, jeez, a 59t chainring? :shock: I've got a 60t but it's only useful for going 60mph downhill. What does he need that for, when there are no hills on is route? :shock: :lol:
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    Well, he did say he was 110% committed, maybe he thought that should apply to such things as gearing as well?
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • cyclingfury
    cyclingfury Posts: 676
    Hmmm the phrase "all the gear and no idea" comes to mind.
    The guys in the bike shop must have fell about laughing as Sugar walked out with not one, but three top of the range Pinarellos - one of which had a 59 tooth chain ring that they had probably been trying to get rid of for months!
    The guys in the bike shop must have fell about laughing as Sugar walked out with not one, but three top of the range Pinarellos - one of which had a 59 tooth chain ring that they had probably been trying to get rid of for months!

i can't believe he bought Pinarellos! All that money and went custom. He could have gone for Serotta or Parlee or Guru or any number of Euro custom bikes and a 59 ring!!!! Cancellara prob. only goes to a 56 - still at least it's an article on cycling but it makes too much of a play about the cost and all the trick kit.
    M.Rushton
  • Mettan
    Good to see someone high-profile, extremely wealthy, putting the miles in - genuinely seems interested and enjoys it, (in a similar manner to everyone else) - would be a bit like Bill Gates doing a spot of Cage Fighting on the weekend :D - effort, commitment, out of your comort zone, all good.
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    Doesn't look like a 59t chainring to me. Journalist's licence?
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    Mettan wrote:
    Would be a bit like Bill Gates doing a spot of Cage Fighting on the weekend :D

Kind of like Peter Parker without the spidey powers?
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • Sirius631
    Sirius631 Posts: 991
    proto wrote:
    Doesn't look like a 59t chainring to me. Journalist's licence?

It's probably a 53-39. The writer jumbles them up and says that he didn't use any digits that weren't already there, rather like they do with the order of words in a sentance. :twisted:
    To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.
  • Bhima
    Yes, it doesn't look that big - I have a 60t on one of my bikes and it is noticably gigantic.
  • PostieJohn
    PostieJohn Posts: 1,105
    Blimey, I know it's difficult to get the Garmin kit to look good, but matching it with that bike colour. Jeez, it's a shame we haven't got a :violentlyill: smilie.
  • Bhima
    PostieJohn wrote:
    it's a shame we haven't got a :violentlyill: smilie.

pukekiss.gificon037.gif

Good smiley page: http://subvertcentral.com/smiliereposit ... sitory.htm
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Fair play to him, good to see someone out on the bike, putting the miles in and getting really good results from it, cycling karma.

Wonder if hes ever had someone drop him on a ride and shout "youre fired" on the way past?

Sorry best I could do. Mind you i have helped him, I did have an Amstrad 128k when I was 14...
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    good article but if i was him id rather be riding michelle dewberry :twisted:
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • Mettan
    dmclite wrote:
    Fair play to him, good to see someone out on the bike, putting the miles in and getting really good results from it, cycling karma..

Agreed - that's how I see it aswell.
  • synchronicity
    synchronicity Posts: 1,415
    If you're going to ride that "McDonalds livery" Prince, three things:

1) Please tilt those bars down a bit or else find a different bar that is more comfortable. :x
    2) Never use the 53 / 25T gear combination... it wears out everything. :roll:
    3) Know the difference between a 53T chainring and a 59T one. :lol:
  • Bhima
    1) Please tilt those bars down a bit or else find a different bar that is more comfortable. :x

1) It doesn't look tilted to me...?
    2) Not on some (more expensive) bikes! :)
  • CTML
    CTML Posts: 53
    Couldn't think of a better person to promote cycling to be honest has a rolls and a driver...but still decides to take the bike what a man!
  • Mettan
    CTML wrote:
    Couldn't think of a better person to promote cycling to be honest has a rolls and a driver...but still decides to take the bike what a man!

Yep, fully agreed - for a rich guy who has "everything", good to see him putting the miles in like everyone else.
  • Parsnip49
    Parsnip49 Posts: 205
    What is with the Valverde paint job and the garmin kit? Most un-Euro

Those bars are stupid - drops look un-usable, as do the hoods.
  • Parsnip49
    Parsnip49 Posts: 205
    Bhima wrote:

2) Not on some (more expensive) bikes! :)

Sorry, are you daft? The bike has nothing to do with it.

A 53/25 combo will knacker the whole drive train same way a 39/11 would do.

Remember kids, dont cross chain
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    That's besides the strain on your knees and the wheels. I presume the 53-25 ascent was done on a cadence of +70rpm?
    M.Rushton
  • proto
    I wonder if anyone has ever dared shout at him "pay your f**king road tax or get off the road" :D

Full marks to the bloke. He's out there doing it, getting the miles in like we all do. If only we had a few more high profile riders like him, the dreadful general attitude to cyclist might improve somewhat.
  • proto

What a miserable comment, tad jealous are we? He's got the dosh and he spends it on decent bikes and kit. Good for him.

And as for your comment the bike shop staff rolling about laughing, that's pretty miserable too. I'd put money on it that any quality shop with decent staff would be more than happy to sell him three bikes. They'd have the same attitude to most on here - well done Sir Alan. And they's pobably hope he comes back next year to buy something a bit better, maybe a trio of Colnagos or LOOKs
  • synchronicity
    synchronicity Posts: 1,415
    Mettan wrote:
    for a rich guy who has "everything", good to see him putting the miles in like everyone else.

One thing he doesn't have - youth. icon_smile_tongue.gif hehehe
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    proto wrote:

What a miserable comment, tad jealous are we? He's got the dosh and he spends it on decent bikes and kit. Good for him.

And as for your comment the bike shop staff rolling about laughing, that's pretty miserable too. I'd put money on it that any quality shop with decent staff would be more than happy to sell him three bikes. They'd have the same attitude to most on here - well done Sir Alan. And they's pobably hope he comes back next year to buy something a bit better, maybe a trio of Colnagos or LOOKs

If you read the whole article it does say that he was so impressed with the Prince that he brought 3 so he could have 1 at each home - the one he used in the article was the one that was meant to be left with at the Florida home, meaning that he could use the 53/9t chainring to it's best and was having to put in some extra effort to deal with the hills!

Still as has been said it's excellent to see such a high profile celebrity who cycles and I bet it was awesome for the journo to go for a ride with him and almost be on the same level :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Moaner
    Moaner Posts: 117
    One thing he doesn't have - youth. icon_smile_tongue.gif

So what?
    Don't you see how sad you sound?
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    proto wrote:
    I'd put money on it that any quality shop with decent staff would be more than happy to sell him three bikes. They'd have the same attitude to most on here - well done Sir Alan. And they's pobably hope he comes back next year to buy something a bit better, maybe a trio of Colnagos or LOOKs

If they took the pi55 out of him trying to make him look like a monkey and didn't try very hard to sell him a bike or two then you can be sure SrAlan would say.......... "Your fired!"
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • snellgrove
    snellgrove Posts: 171
    Parsnip49 wrote:
    What is with the Valverde paint job and the garmin kit? Most un-Euro

Those bars are stupid - drops look un-usable, as do the hoods.

Maybe to you, but he obviously finds it comfortable like that...
    Mettan wrote:
    for a rich guy who has "everything", good to see him putting the miles in like everyone else.

One thing he doesn't have - youth. icon_smile_tongue.gif hehehe

So he's older than you or I, but he does 50 - 70 miles, twice-a-week. So I think you've come up with a moot point there.

I don't know what all the fuss is about - he obviously just enjoys cycling and I know that if I had the cash I'd happily blow £7+ grand on a custom framed bike. You all probably would too!!

:roll:
  • pedylan
    pedylan Posts: 768
    The one thing the guy isn't about is b*llsh*t. That was one good cycling article, distinguished by its rarity.

Imagine what benefits cycling would see if that article was just one of many.

Our often marginalised, seen as a nuisance activity, would be safer, less stressful and more enjoyable.
    Where the neon madmen climb
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    I think Duncan Bannatyne and Peter Jones from Dragon's Den cycle as well so maybe another interview can be done with them. That would be really great for cycling to add to SrAlan's recent outing. Maybe a Dragon's Den/Apprentice team can be mobilised. Adrian Chiles rides as well although not sure to what extent, he did the E2E at the end of last year start of this year.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.