edited March 2009 in Road buying advice
http://www.fenixtorch.co.uk/led_torches/fenix_tk40.html

Should be available April sometime.

Spec looks very interesting....

Turbo (630 Lumens, 2Hrs)
High (277 Lumens, 6.8Hrs)
Mid (93 Lumens, 20Hrs)
Low (13 Lumens, 150Hrs)

The only but.......... £125 price tag (still cheaper than a joystick maxx with p4 @ 240 claimed lumens though)

Your thoughts please learned torch people, is this going to be suitable for road riding (iro beam/spread etc, I'm not very clued up on those things).....

Comments

• crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    Sorry I can't give you any info on beam width etc. but did you notice the physical size (208mm x 62mm dia.)? That a fairly large torch. Still do-able but could be a little too big for some.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Sweeeet ! 2 hour run time is pretty good.

I reckon its prob about as bright as this baby : http://www.mtbbritain.co.uk/mountain_bi ... w_led.html

twice the run time, but about 4x the price ?
  • rickhotrod
    rickhotrod Posts: 181
    208mm isn't that long considering it has 8 AA batteries. The 2C Maglite has been fitted to MTB bikes before, and that's about 228mm long.

Considering Fenix do a 180 Lumen 2 AA powered light with a single LED, i'd expect this to have been four times that at 720 Lumens. Maybe we'll have to wait until the new improved version comes out for that.

As for weight, 8 AA NiMH batteries (Sanyo Eneloops) weigh about 208 grams. Hopefully Fenix will bring out a lighter 6 AA powered version. Still with 5 hours runtime at 277 Lumens.
  • grahamcp
    grahamcp Posts: 323
    With all the what light threads on this forum I'm surprised there hasn't been more interest in this light.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I would be interested - Fenix quality is excellent, but this is just a little too large for my liking. Hopefully they will be producing more variants in time that might prove more suitable.
  • andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    a) Too big
    b) With 8xAA you'll probably find it's not easy to keep your batteries in good shape, especially if you try getting near the maximum runtime. A short dumpy light with 3x18650 may have been better.
    c) Maximum brightness is probably limited by overheating issues. The LEDs get less efficient as they get hotter, so you get more light from 2 LEDs running at half power than from one at full power. Still Fenix seem to quote realistic-looking figures, unlike the 240 lumen for the Joystick, which is a case of "we're putting 1A through it, that's what the spec sheet for the LED says".
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    8 x AA is waay too much.

Why would I get that when my P7 takes one cell, and has half the battery life. So two batteries to get the same run time - and I've saved shedloads too. If I'm out for three hours (reasonable night ride ?) then for the P7 I need two extra cells. With the Fenix I'd need another 8 cells ??
  • rickhotrod
    rickhotrod Posts: 181
    A short 4 AA version with a 5 hour 200 Lumen setting would suit me!