• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Your garage is fancier than my kitchen.

Interesting wheel choice...

Looks good though!
  • IanTrcp
    IanTrcp Posts: 761
    edited March 2009
    Wanted to try something a little aero without being too prone to crosswinds. Clincher rather than tubular for practicality with p*nctures and alloy rims because I ride in all conditions and want to be able to stop at the lights.

SRAM Force gruppo a slightly alternative choice also. So far - and based only on a shakedown spin around the block - I like the doubletap action. Had to stick with the FSA crankset as my Ergomo BB is Isis.

To be honest, the Zipps will probably end up on my "other best bike" which tends to get used for shorter/faster rides, and the Cervelo will sport my DA C24's for the Etape and other sportives this summer. I see the Cervelo as a sort of Aston Martin grand tourer for the slightly older man.....
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    It's the compromise with the 303 clinchers, neither particularly aero or light, almost the worst of both worlds at that sort of money!
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    NapoleonD wrote:
    It's the compromise with the 303 clinchers, neither particularly aero or light, almost the worst of both worlds at that sort of money!

Yeh, with my money it'd be Cosmic Carbones, or Reynolds Assaults/Attacks, if I was getting Zipps they'd have to be tub 404s or 808s.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • IanTrcp
    NapoleonD wrote:

So says received/internet wisdom, but I prefer to make my own choices. They are quite light for an alloy rimmed wheel, and I don't see that the additional "aeroness", even if only slight, can be a bad thing.

Need to ride to know! I'll come back with a report once I've put 1,000km on them...
  • IanTrcp
    NapoleonD wrote:

Yeh, with my money it'd be Cosmic Carbones, or Reynolds Assaults/Attacks, if I was getting Zipps they'd have to be tub 404s or 808s.

Why the Cosmics or the Reynolds? I used to have Cosmics and found them very hard and hollow/pingy/vibratey on less than perfect surfaces. Haven't seen a pair of the Reynolds in the flesh. They're all much of a muchness weight wise aren't they?
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    IanTrcp wrote:
    They're all much of a muchness weight wise aren't they?

Hell of a lot cheaper though :wink:
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr