My new Spesh Rockhopper Pro

GTi-R23
GTi-R23 Posts: 175
edited May 2009 in Your mountain bikes
Hi everyone, just thought I'd show off my new ride, Spesh' Rockhopper Pro from Evans Cycles (top service by the way, highly recommended) well happy with it, not had chance to take it any further than the top of the road yet as it only turned up a few hours ago, only thing that looks a bit odd in that pic is the front brake hose looks about 8 miles too long? What ya reckon?

DSC00109.jpg

Comments

• dunker
    dunker Posts: 1,503
    looks great :) would'nt worry about the hose length, just zip/cable-tie it up to another to stop it flapping about. if it bothers you too much take it back to evans or an lbs an get them to sort it.
  • What size is it bro, and how tall are you?
  • Specialized's hardtails always look good. Usually ride nicely also. I'd only bother shortening the hose if you think it's gonna catch on stuff as you ride. Should be fine if it doesn't stick out to the side.
  • GTi-R23
    What size is it bro, and how tall are you?

It's a 19in and I'm 6ft2, loads big enough, was going to go for the 21in as that is what everywhere recommends for someone of my height, but the 19 is perfectly fine for me, the last thing I would want is a bike that felt too big, try one for size if you're a lanky streak like me.

Reading another post about a Spesh' product recall due to handlebars snapping, so I think I know what an early upgrade might be :?
  • i got rockhopper 08 v break and loving it, would of got the pro like yours but just to exspencive for me at 900+
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • Tom_Fox
    Tom_Fox Posts: 17
    :shock:

Beautiful!!!

If ya dont mind me asking...How much she set you back?
  • GTi-R23
    I was gonna get the Rockhopper Expert, but Evans were doing a 10% off spring deal, so instead of getting the Expert for less, I thought the smart thing to do would be to go for the Pro which worked out the same price as the Expert :lol:
    So not alot of change from £900 :cry: I didn't want to stretch to an entry level FS, thought it best spending the money on a decent HT

That crap phone pic doesn't really do it justice, I'll take some more with a proper camera, but it really is a nice looking bike even if I do say so myself

Just looking for a computer and carbon handlebar now, and she's good to go
  • Macster1
    Macster1 Posts: 122
    edited April 2009
    Nice :)

I'm looking for a new bike and the Expert & the Pro are on my shopping list. I haven't had a bike for 20 years but want to get out and about with family and friends. Not sure what bike I would get but a friend recommended Specialized; I was originally going for the Comp but really want the Pro - my wife will make the final decision!

I can get the Expert for £750:00 new or the Pro for £850:00 new, both from the same shop. The guy is giving me a deal as I also intend to buy the Specialized D4W Myka HT Sport Disc 2009 for my wife and a bike rack and all the accessories

I'm 6'1" and the 19" suits me, [I sat on it in a shop to guage it], fwiw I have a 32" inside leg, the 21" would deffo be too big, as it is when I straddle the 19" the frame is probably 1 1/2 - 2" from the crown jewels and the seat post is set at its lowest. The 17" looked just too small!

Don't forget to post more pictures and let us know how it rides
    Rockhopper Pro Disc 2009 :D
  • DaKid
    DaKid Posts: 789
    Have just ordered a Rockhopper Pro in size 21 and I'm 6'2" ... I'd tried a smaller Trek 6700 and the Rockhopper just felt the right size. Hope I've made the right decision!! Have fun ... look forward to hearing your views on it when you've been out on it properly :)
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live."
    <i>Mark Twain</i>
  • Speed_King
    Speed_King Posts: 510
    You are right mate, the rockhopper Pro's always come with just over 1ft extra of cable than required i got 2ft taken off of my front and rear ( at the rear triangle you will notice that there is a bit sticking out tht is also excess!)

IT should end up looking like mine =}}>> http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/5476/74295869.jpg
    G.H.Allum
  • DaKid
    DaKid Posts: 789
    That link's broked .... forbidden, apparently?
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live."
    <i>Mark Twain</i>
  • Macster1
    @ Speed_King

Can you repost the pic please?

:)
  • Macster1
    That's interesting about the cable lengths, I wonder why they are so long on the Pro; I was looking at the generic photos online and they all look about right. Perhaps the shop overdid them when they built the bikes?

Specialized%20Rockhopper%20Pro%202009-399-75.jpg
  • Speed_King
    Hi sorry all it was working when i pt it in this morning:

Try these two instead... Note the gold blingage on the rear mech as well as the rest of the bike..
    Enjoy!

60960491.jpg

70152561.jpg
    G.H.Allum
  • Speed_King
    Here is another one, look for another addition soon folks !

On my page , bling bling lightning quick!

70905982.jpg
    G.H.Allum
  • mikeyg01
    mikeyg01 Posts: 10
    Hi, Just got my rockhopper pro and it's bloody brilliant - will post pics later today when I get home.

I was deliberating between the expert and pro and I can safely say I definately made the right choice - even the colour is quite nice in real life ';-)
  • deary1000
    deary1000 Posts: 14
    hey peeps!

When ya'll picked up/got delivered your bikes were the two cables running underneath the down tube crossed over in the middle. Mine are and i assumed they should run paralell to each other? Has mine therefore been set up wrong?

sorry for the thread highjacking but it seems like all the rockhopper owners all in one thread :P

thanks!
  • mikeyg01
    mikeyg01 Posts: 10
    It's ok, mine do that - I've seen it on another thread and I think it's normal.

I think it's also mentioned in the 08 review.

Hope this helps,

Mikey
  • Speed_King
    were abouts are they crossing over? cause NO it should run parallell mine do and i just had a full service so my mechanic shold have spoted it if it was not normal

Check with LBS the newer versions may be set up slightly different so give them a tinkle and see what they say ?
    G.H.Allum
  • Speed_King
    look at my pics posted above, you will note the cables run parallell not crossover
    G.H.Allum
  • deary1000
    urmm basically underneath on the down tube roughly middle, just about where the bottle cage is I guess. They cross over just there and then straighten out to carry on to there retrospective destinations. I see what you mean from your pics, and i assumed that on all bikes they should run parallel. They did on my old mountain bike which is like a good 10 odd years old so I thought technologies or trends may have changed hence why mine is like it is?

Cheers for the replies.
  • adb1006
    adb1006 Posts: 938
    Spesh always run their cables (front and rear mechs) crossing over on the downtube - on their hardtails anyway, not sure about fs. Not sure why but they do. It's good for collecting mud!
  • GTi-R23
    Well just to update, I've ridden a few hundred miles on mine now, and it's great, the more I ride it, the more I like it, only tiny nit pick I have is the standard tyres are pretty poor in anything other than dry conditions, thick mud is a no no, but they do roll uber fast in the dry, so can't have it all I suppose, tried some maxxis advantages on it, but they feel heavier than the fast traks, so will switch them back when (if) the summer arrives.

Here's a few more pics:

100_0408.jpg

100_0411.jpg
  • Chaz.Harding
    Chaz.Harding Posts: 3,144
    Yup, they run the cables crossed over, so because the shifter pattern (front and rear shifters being left and right respectively), and where the cable stops and mechs are on the bike. Perfectly normal.

My Specialized roadie is the same. It's coming up to nearly 1000 miles (since mid Feb) and the cables are fine, no frays etc.

So dont worry, its all good!
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • deary1000
    Nice one guys! Put my mind at rest. Just its been so long wanted to make sure all was right!

:D
  • blablablacksheep
    blablablacksheep Posts: 1,377
    my rockhopper normal crosses over too, pretty normal from what i hear as its default on all spec bikes

out of interest how are the forks on the pro?
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners