Moving to the Peak District

irishmaninbrussels
edited March 2009 in Road beginners
I am a beginner coming from running marathons into cycling and am moving from Brussels to the Peak District. I was hoping I could connect with some other riders in the area. I am doing Vatternrunden in June... 300KM with some friends. Training has been a bit sporadic but have managed to get up to a 160Km distance ride. Average speed in the saddle is anywhere between 25km/hr to 30km/hr depending on the route and distance. No real hills to be honest. Am riding an old Batavus steel mount with the gears on the frame but am getting a new bike when I move.

Hope there are some guys/gals out there who would like some company and good craic in the saddle around the Peak District... though I would emphasise I am a reall beginner!

Sean.

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    You've moved to the right area!

There are loads of clubs in the area, I'm in Macclesfield Wheelers but there are many more...
  • NapoleonD, thanks for the quick response. I am moving to a spot close to Marple. When I was over on a pre-move driving around I was a bit concerned that the roads and traffic were a little "dangerous". Have looked on the internet and see a lot of Mountain bike stuff but not much on the road. Have never joined a club, either running or bike... am a real novice though have managed some great rides over here with a few mates.
  • Anonymous
    Don't worry! Most of the club runs go through roads with very little traffic, it's amazing how many cut throughs and back roads there are! The main roads in to Marple especially from Stockport do get very very busy at rush hour though.
    Don't worry about your 'beginner' concerns, you are riding at a level more than suitable for club runs and are probably up for the faster training rides!
    Marple is a great base for both road and MTB.
    Try and come along to a Macc Wheelers club run just to get a feel for it. Give them a bell via the website. There are also Manchester Wheelers of course. Glossop Kinder Velo is also a nearby club with an active road section albeit on a much smaller scale...
  • Thanks Napoleon. Will give the club a bell. Am driving over next Wednesday but will probably just bring the MTB over with me. Will have the family over near the end of April and will be hoping to get back onto the road.
  • Anonymous
    You will be in one of the best places in the world for MTBing...