New saddle with middle hole

mobilis
mobilis Posts: 65
edited March 2009 in Road beginners
I'm a recreational novice road biker.
I'm considering a saddle with a hole in the middle for health reasons. (like this http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=22000)
What's your opinion about this kind of saddles, in terms of cmfort for maximum 3 hours use?

Can you suggest a saddle for me with these characteristics:
1) Maximum width 135mm
2) Italian manufacturer (I have an italian bike)
3) Middle hole
4) Under 45 GBP.

Comments

• softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    I don't quite understand why you are asking people to suggest a suitable saddle when you have already posted a link to one which seems to fit your criteria..??
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    I would suggest comfort should be the highest priority, and not what company makes it.

Look for saddles that offer a trial period, or try as many different saddles as you can from mates. Then let your bum decide, not your fashion bone.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    mobilis wrote:
    I'm a recreational novice road biker.
    I'm considering a saddle with a hole in the middle for health reasons. (like this http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=22000)
    What's your opinion about this kind of saddles, in terms of cmfort for maximum 3 hours use?

I have it on one of my bikes, I find it very comfortable, I actually find the Selle Italia C2 I have also more comfortable, very similar shape, but the padding is less spongy - and it's leather - but still under your budget at wiggle.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • mobilis
    mobilis Posts: 65
    softlad wrote:
    I don't quite understand why you are asking people to suggest a suitable saddle when you have already posted a link to one which seems to fit your criteria..??
    There are no bad questions, just bad answers.
    Someone may have actually tested or own these kind of saddles.
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    to be honest, what someone else finds comfortable is slightly irrelevant. Personally, I think the holes are a bit of a gimmick, and if you are buying a saddle based on its country of origin (which is probably Taiwan, not Italy), then your choice will be limited anyway.

About £20 will buy you a Charge Spoon - well worth a try, but unfortunately not Italian...
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    I use a saddle with a "hole" (specialized toupe), but I'm not sure that it's the hole as such that makes it comfortable and reduces pressure on delicate bits. The contours of the top surface of the saddle determine this and you want something that supports your sitbones while not putting pressure on your perineum. A cutout or hole may be the logical extreme extension of this, but some saddles without cutouts will work just as well, and some with cutouts might actually put more pressure on the perineum. It depends on the total surface contour of the top of the saddle and also the shape of your individual anatomy. You need to try out various saddles and find the one that works best in all respects while not putting pressure on the delicate tissues in your perineum. Also, personally I think saddles are too important, and finding the ideal saddle too difficult, for something like style or country of manufacture to be sensible considerations. Weight, however... that's a different matter. :wink::lol: