Torq screws and bashrings...

The Northern Monkey
The Northern Monkey Posts: 19,174
edited March 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
Does anyone know what size torq wrench I'll need to remove my saint bash?

Also, with the E13 chain guide, will it work with the saint chainrings and do you get the correct bolts, or do I use the saint ones again?

Cheers,
Ben

Comments

• dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Eh? Torque wrench? To remove your bash ring?

Thought they were held in place by the chainring bolts???
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Whytepeak
    Whytepeak Posts: 2,616
    The saint ones should work again on the e13 - am i wrong? :lol:
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • sorry i'm getting things muddled.... I didn't mean a torque wrench :lol:

I meant a torx key wrench thingy to remove my bash, but yea, I think I mean the chainring bolts...
    I've just got no idea what size the bolts are (need to buy the tool at the same time as a new E13).

Also just wanting to make sure that the E13 SRS MTX will be fine with the single ring saint cranks/chainring and a 9sp rear cassette?
    just dont want my chain falling off but I still want a bash :)
  • hucking_fell
    hucking_fell Posts: 1,056
    edited March 2009
    5mm hex key / wrench / spanner type thing for a chainring bolt :wink:

I had to file away some of the plastic from an E13 bashguard to make it fit with Saint cranks 'cos the crankarm's so wide at the axle end. The bolt hole spacing is fine though.

EDIT - I'm on about the older Saint crankset but would imagine that the newer one is the same sizing / fit.
    More freerange chicken than Freeride God
    Bighit , 5 , BFe
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Dave i guess he is on about the New shimano chain ring bolts that are torx fitting.

and no idea what size.

what ever tool fits from the set.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • hucking_fell
    edited March 2009
    Cool. I'll buy a load of them torx chainring bolts if they don't have have the daft flathead bit at the back. They really pi$$ me off.
    Bighit , 5 , BFe
  • ahhh ballsocks. So i'm gonna need some hex keys too?!

or could I be lucky to get away with the saint bolts back in there?

i'm hoping that the torx screws aren't thicker than the hex ones... might cause a few problems when trying to fit the E13 :(

Reckon this will give me enough range for the Saint? Can't really tell how big they are from the pic, the saint ones are pretty huge :( >http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/?fn=product&productId=1705
  • hucking_fell
    edited March 2009
    Hex keys and Torx keys are completely different.

Hex - hexagon shaped

Torx - sort of six pointed star shaped

Disc rotor torx bolts are T25 which is in the middle of the range of the torx keys you've linked to so they should be fine.

Unless the saint's bolts are REALLY HUGE.
    Bighit , 5 , BFe
  • yea i know lol.

I mean, i'll need torx to undo the saint and hex to fit the E13?

or can I re-use the saint bolts?
  • hucking_fell
    edited March 2009
    I can't believe you don't already have a set of hex keys :wink:

EDIT - The E13 bashring comes with bolts anyway. They're longer than the ones which come with the cranks. You would have to use them so may not need the torx keys at all.

You could get a Saint single and bash would would save any bother.
    Bighit , 5 , BFe
  • I built my bike with a park multi tool!!! :lol:
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    nicklouse wrote:
    Dave i guess he is on about the New shimano chain ring bolts that are torx fitting.

Those dastardly orientals! They'll be making some sort of combined brake lever/gear shifter mechanism next that doesn't work with anyone elses gear, and nobody likes! Oh wait...
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • dave_hill wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:

Those dastardly orientals! They'll be making some sort of combined brake lever/gear shifter mechanism next that doesn't work with anyone elses gear, and nobody likes! Oh wait...

Yea, saint stuff...all though damn good.... don't half make things fecking annoying.
  • Touched
    Touched Posts: 1
    I was just working on my 2008 XT chainring with a T-30 torx wrench. Oh, and it fit ;)
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    XTR use them as well.

Ben just get a good Torx Tool kit and it will do you all the things you will need.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • kewl :) Glad I asked tho!

btw...everything? ;) 8)
  • The Big Cheese
    The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
    Don't forget your chainring tool.... makes life a hell of a lot easier :wink:

http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/product/116103.html

Also, invest in a good quality set of Torx keys, don't whatever you do by X-tools version, made of cheese, surprisingly as some of their budget kit is good
  • argh!! what do I kneed that for :lol:
    changing the bash has become much more difficult/complex than I thought :(

Hucking Fell
    I do have the single saint anyways!! just the e13 chainguide doesn't fit with the saint bash... hense getting the full set.
    Need a chain guide so that I can run gears on me rears!!
  • The Big Cheese
    edited March 2009
    It's not... really it isn't. :wink:

You need:

Correct size hex/torx key for your bolts.

The chainring tool to slop into the back of the bolts to stop the whole lot turning

The correct length chain bolts (narrow or long - Middleburn do these) depending on your set up

1 x chainring + cranks arms = narrow bolts

1 x chainring + crank arms + bash ring = Long bolts (generally - so you may be able to re-use your Saint bolts OR the ones that come with the SRS, as you have to use chainring/crank/bash) so no need I should see to have to buy more bolts (have a fiddle and see)

n6110014412091594746320.jpg
  • Simpelz :)

:lol: cheers mate :)
  • The Big Cheese
    Or just save yourself a whole heap of cash and buy one of these. They actually work, great for £20 sheets

http://www.bikepedlar.co.uk/acatalog/Chain_Devices.html

:wink:
  • i need the guide up top too :( not just the tensioner :(