Best Breakfast Before A Race?

Elushion
Elushion Posts: 115
edited April 2009 in Amateur race
What is the best breakfast to have at 10am for a race start of 1pm?
Granola, Porridge, or any others?
"It was eleven more than necessary."

-Jacques Anquetil (after winning a race by twelve
seconds."

Comments

• brownbosh
    brownbosh Posts: 602
    Breakfast at 10 am? Are you working nights the day before?????
  • Elushion
    Elushion Posts: 115
    No, eating it as late as possible so I wont be hungry at 1pm.
    "It was eleven more than necessary."

-Jacques Anquetil (after winning a race by twelve
    seconds."
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    Have breakfast at the normal time, and then a snack about 10/11 in the morning. When I had a race at at about 11:30 in the morning, I had breakfast at 7, and then just a small snack a couple of hours before, and kept well hydrated.

I also drink a carb drink prior to the event to top up.
  • simon t
    simon t Posts: 132
    porridge then sip a carb drink up to the race.
  • brownbosh
    brownbosh Posts: 602
    Agree totally. Brekkie normal time snack plus energy drink later.
  • AndyRubio
    AndyRubio Posts: 880
    Porridge and also an egg - separately though.
  • acorn_user
    acorn_user Posts: 1,137
    Sling some raisins into that porridge. I'd get a banana later on too, and maybe an energy bar.
  • alp777
    alp777 Posts: 211
    Branflakes.....................the choice of champions!!! :wink:

http://www.kelloggs.co.uk/whatson/branflakes/

You gotta laugh!
  • bobpzero
    bobpzero Posts: 1,431
    actually

Rego porridge is rapidly catching on as the breakfast choice of champions - simply mix dry oats with Rego, pour on hot water and stir.http://www.scienceinsport.com/top_tips.htm
  • agnello
    agnello Posts: 239
    porridge with water - rank

think i'd add milk and suffer the slower 'absorbtion rate' - jeez!

for what it's worth for brekkie i have good muesli with banana and fruit - usually strawberries or blueberries - on top. then lots of quality toast with marmite.

and tea - 'antioxidant' beverage of true champions
    Stumpjumper FSR Comp
    Eddy Merckx Strada
    Gios Compact KK
    Raleigh Dynatech Diablo
    Canyon CF CLX / Record
    Charge Plug 3
    Kinesis GF Ti disc - WIP...
  • eh
    eh Posts: 4,854
    Hate porridge so beans or spagetti on toast for me. Oh and a coffee obviously.

Also whats with all the energy drinks everyones downing? Nowt wrong with a banana and water. Cheaper and natural.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    The "three hour meal" is a sensible idea, it gives you the right amount of time to digest the food. Personally I find it better to make sure I eat a little and often the day before and have a light breakfast to top up my energy levels. A big bowl of porridge is just too much, the idea of having to force down food because you need the energy later doesn't work for me, I'd rather eat during the race.
  • richk
    richk Posts: 564
    I usually have a largish bowl of porrige 2 hours before a TT regardless of what time of day it is...
    There is no secret ingredient...
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    RichK wrote:
    I usually have a largish bowl of porrige 2 hours before a TT regardless of what time of day it is...
    What distance? Because if it's under 2 hours then your body probably has enough energy inside it, in blood sugar, muscle stores and the liver. A big bowl can divert blood to the gut and just add weight. If it works for you, by all means, but for a 25 it is not always necessary.
  • alp777 wrote:
    Branflakes.....................the choice of champions!!! :wink:

http://www.kelloggs.co.uk/whatson/branflakes/

You gotta laugh!

I've been eating Bran Flakes for breakfast for years and they have got me around fine. Infact, the only time i've bonked was after having porridge fo breakfast, it was expensive stuff too!

Only problem with Bran Flakes is that they have a fairly high sugar content, but when i'm cycling I don't really care. :P
  • Jeff Jones
    Jeff Jones Posts: 1,865
    Porridge 3-4 hrs before, ride to race (about an hour), then a muesli bar and a gel about an hour before I start. This is for TTs between 10 and 50 miles. I don't go as well when I starve myself.
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • geohorn
    geohorn Posts: 11
    Porridge with honey and plenty of weakened PSP22 prior to racing. I also eat a banana or 2 just before and keep sipping a carb drink as well as one for the race!
  • ninjaslim
    ninjaslim Posts: 243
    Fish pie ready meal or a beef lasagne 3.5 hours before race start, then no carbs until 20 mins before when I pop a gel or three, plenty of fluid with Hydration tablets and I'm sorted like, it's stopped me getting cramps too (so far)
  • LittleB0b
    LittleB0b Posts: 416
    ... porridge fo breakfast, it was expensive stuff too!

eh? It's like £1.50 for 2.5kg - and i buy the plush organic jumbo oats, for regular oats it would be way cheap.
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    I Love Chris Hoy carrying his bike to the track in the morning.
    Then having a mid training snack of kellogs before doing some more intervals. Why didn't they do that at the olympics?
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • blorg
    blorg Posts: 1,169
    You are probably best off eating what you normally eat. If you decide to try something different, don't try it the morning of the race, get used to it first in your normal routine. I don't eat it myself, I tend to eat mass-produced cereals :) but porridge has a very strong following among other cyclists I know.