Bike bits from tips?

chuckcork
chuckcork Posts: 1,471
edited March 2009 in Workshop
I've bought recently a nice frame, and while I have less than enough money in my account to buy new parts I would still like to build up a bike up around it, to be a spare/commuting/hack bike until I can afford a new groupset.

I've seen it commented before that people have bought bikes supercheap from tips, can I ask if anyone has successfully managed to find bits off road bikes as well? I already have the frame obviously, wheels, a crankset, bars and derailleurs, so the sort of things I'd be after would be levers, cable housings, a rear cassette, brakes with a quick release and so on.

Worth a shot or simply wasting my time looking over £99 specials?
'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    IMO 10 x £10 skip bikes would yield far more useable parts than any £99 supermarket special
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    Hmm, just popped around to the local, all the best bikes had been picked up yesterday for some recycling/restoration scheme!

Only one left there that looked like it was worth doing anything with (not in bad condition either) but they wanted me to take it away if I wanted to do anything with it (jobsworth: I'll get in trouble with my supervisor) Given I'd cycled there that didn't really seem like a sensible option so looks like I'll have to continue looking or just buy overpriced new parts. :?
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....