If I went single speed?

2»

Comments

• lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Greg66 wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    MTFU and sort your head out, DDD!

SS. Pah. If you want to enjoy the benefits of riding in a single gear, simply don't use your shifters. Stay in one gear. Pick a harder one than the pansy-SS'ers* use too. Round London, that is not an issue.

Fixed, schmixed. It's like having a broken watch. Works perfectly for a couple of seconds every day.

( I couldn't find anything useful to say about the Fondriest. Promise. I did look).

* LiT excluded, for she rides SS with a proper gear. Or did, before it broke her like a dry twig.

And me excluded - I reckon 50/16 is a proper SS gear thank you very much! :lol:

Ummmmm, nah.

It's smaller than mine (53x16). Ergo, you're a pansy.

Anyone who rides a bigger gear than 53x16 all the time is a damned fool with no regard for the well-being of their knees (or perhaps achilles). :D:D:D

Or their back....?

And I'm back on it now. DDD was SS a real plan or just a pipedream? Ebay have a ton of SS bikes most of the time. Evans also have an immense range.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    for fixed, you want to use 47-17 to give even wear when doing skid stops, if that isn't manly enough then 53-17 is also good.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    I
    * Or as close to hills as those whinging southern city types get to, anyway. Mere small gentle undulations, really, certainly not the massive obstacles that the tempered, weather beaten commuter has to overcome on a daily basis up here, pah.

You didn't mention the "headwinds" we get down here too. :wink:
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    I've been looking at SS as well - must be the spring weather- quite fancied the Pearson Hanzo particularly as they offer a wide range of build options but its a steel frame so might be on the heavy side - I think given the hills around here I'd want to go as light as possible. I also considered the Tricross single but I'm not planning on running around with it over my shoulder and I can use the Giant for off-roading so at present I'm working my way through the London SS list
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    cjcp wrote:
    I
    * Or as close to hills as those whinging southern city types get to, anyway. Mere small gentle undulations, really, certainly not the massive obstacles that the tempered, weather beaten commuter has to overcome on a daily basis up here, pah.

You didn't mention the "headwinds" we get down here too. :wink:
    And the cold weather......
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689

And I'm back on it now. DDD was SS a real plan or just a pipedream? Ebay have a ton of SS bikes most of the time. Evans also have an immense range.

Yep, I'm hopefully taking delivery of an 'ITB' frame!!!!

But don't want to say too much yet, carbon road bike first.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    DDD - your world will rock if you go SS.....!
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    think of all the new scalping
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    Alternatively, think of something worth saying before ressurrecting a topic that's been dead for three and a half months. Honestly, some people...
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    _Brun_ wrote:
    Alternatively, think of something worth saying before ressurrecting a topic that's been dead for three and a half months. Honestly, some people...

Worth resurrecting though. DDD I know you have a SS, why aren't you using it? I DEMAND TO KNOW!! :shock:

:wink:
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Isn't it cheaper to buy a 53/42 chainset if you want the option of doing the spinny spinny thing and have something a bit smaller than 53, but a bit bigger than 39 to get up hills? :wink:
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."