LBS V's Online

Barkiesnake
Barkiesnake Posts: 244
edited March 2009 in Road buying advice
Hi Folks,
I need some help with making a decision on what bike and where to buy.
The options i am torn between are
Going to my LBS and buying a new 2009 defy 2.5
or going online and buying a new 2008 SCR1

Obviously the SCR1 is better spec'd using 105 instead of tiagra and also having carbon forks and seat post,

BUT at the same time i would like to support my LBS.

My other concern is with aftersales service, i know that the LBS is very highly rated by local clubs and would tune and tweak anything that needed it free after a month or so and also deal with any other problems, whereas online store i assume would not have this option and aslo worried about what if bike developes faults etc.
Prices are almost the same.

What do you guys think? Older better spec'd bike but no / low aftercare? OR support local LBS and get newr model with lower spec, but better aftercare? :?:
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, your right" Henry Ford

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I'd go for the higher specced bike - my housemate got a 2008 SCR1 last from Wiggle and it's really nice, bargain for just over £600
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Normally I'd say support the LBS but it's a pretty big downgrade in this case (especially losing the carbon fork), if it were me I'd check if the LBS could do any cheap upgrade deals on the Defy (i.e. swap the forks), if not I'd get the SCR
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    Consider telling the LBS what your options are and see if they can price match - or at least get close enough to tip things towards them. They'll know the score.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • maddog 2 wrote:
    Consider telling the LBS what your options are and see if they can price match - or at least get close enough to tip things towards them. They'll know the score.

If you are getting it on a cycle to work scheme most of them charge the retailer 10% of the price (may even be of the RRP), which limits the amount of discount they are able to offer.

My LBS threw in a lock, lights & a 30% discount on pedals & shoes. That coupled with the customer service swung me to buy from them.

PS I reckon the better spec on the 2 is worth the increase in price over the 2.5
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Get the bike you want - you can always pay a local shop to do some 'after care' if you want.
  • Barkiesnake
    Thanks guys

i think i will go talk to LBS about pricing and or upgrades.

Bike wise i like both, i know SCR has better gears etc but defy has triple, which being a chunky monkey i find i sometimes need on hills, and i have been told that the frame on the defy is better than that of the scr.

I have ridden the defy and it was really comfortable and a good fit & feel, havn't ridden an SCR so can't comment but would immagine to be quite similar.

Will post what final outcome is>>>
  • Barkiesnake
    Result!!!!!

Have just been down to LBS for some face to face negotiation on prices and they have reduced their price by just under £100.

Deal done, even the wife is happy!!
    :D
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Result!!!!!

Have just been down to LBS for some face to face negotiation on prices and they have reduced their price by just under £100.

Deal done, even the wife is happy!!
    :D

Wait a minute. Something is really wrong if the wife is happy. You had better retrace
    your steps and see what you did or agreed to.

Dennis Noward
  • justresting
    justresting Posts: 292
    looked at 2.5 . although obviously not quite as high a spec as the '2' I think imo a nicer colour. you have a lovely looking bike there !!
    ' From the sharks in the penthouse,
    to the rats in the basement,
    its not that far '
  • GavH
    GavH Posts: 933
    Definately done the right thing going with the LBS. I went into mine a few weeks back to see if they could match the price on a Bianchi 928 C2C I'd seen online. They had it at £1499 and were willing to give me 10% off. Unfortunately for them, Wheelies.co.uk were doing it for £1570 and would give me 20% off. No contest thought I and purchased online. I've had the bike about 10 days now and it's been to the LBS twice. It arrived from Wheelies just not setup at all. The LBS had a look at it initially and done a few tweeks as I waited and charged me nothing. However it still wasn't quite right and when the front mech stopped functioning completely I took it back and left them with it. They ended up charging me £30 (which I'll be asking Wheelies to cover) but to be honest, the bother I've had with it, I wish I'd just bought it from the LBS in the first place. Apart from anything else, I wouldn't have waited 2 weeks for it to arrive seen as the LBS had it in stock and Wheelies had to order it from Bianchi.