New issue of Procycling

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited April 2009 in Pro race
The 10'th aniversary issue is a good one.

However, I want to know which teams Ellis Bacon was talking about in his comment :lol:
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• Have only flicked through it so far, but agreed it looks very good.

I played an interesting game on the 10 years of covers (sad think is, I've bought all but 2 of them and still have most of them!!!) going through the cover stars, a bit like you used to do in the playground with football stickers...VDB, Done, Ulle, Done, Millar, Done, Hamilton, Done, Basso, Done etc etc. Shows how damn frustrating it must be to edit.

On a more positive note, the Basso Code cover is still one of my favourites and of course the Pantani tribute cover really should have won Procycling some sort of award.

As for the teams, doesn't really surprise me that some teams are behaving that way, I'm pretty sure we could all come up with a few suggestions at to who might be 'taking their toys away' if you're critical.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Check out the birthday message from Bradley Wiggins - who just happens to be this month's CS cover star. :roll:
  • I played an interesting game on the 10 years of covers (sad think is, I've bought all but 2 of them and still have most of them!!!) going through the cover stars, a bit like you used to do in the playground with football stickers...VDB, Done, Ulle, Done, Millar, Done, Hamilton, Done, Basso, Done etc etc. Shows how damn frustrating it must be to edit.

Doesn't seem to stop them putting Lance on the cover...
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    johnfinch wrote:
    Check out the birthday message from Bradley Wiggins - who just happens to be this month's CS cover star. :roll:
    I saw that. I wonder if CS will treat him differently?

Interesting article on the re-emergence of the omerta by Ellis Bacon. Ironically he doesn't mention the teams who are blocking access to their riders. Should you not be naming them, since you say you're standing up for journalism?

Overall it was a good edition. I had a two hour flight today and it last for most of the journey, plenty of text and it's always good to pour over TDW's photos.
  • leguape
    leguape Posts: 986
    Kléber wrote:
    Interesting article on the re-emergence of the omerta by Ellis Bacon. Ironically he doesn't mention the teams who are blocking access to their riders. Should you not be naming them, since you say you're standing up for journalism?

It's not omerta is though? It's businesses taking control of their assets and protecting their brand. You think Scott is going allow you access to Columbia riders to answer questions about not being happy with the bikes, like they had to deal with the damage of Saunier Duval doing so a couple of years back in gossipy terms? Why would they?

Also if you're spending a fortune on a Press Officer, it seems somewhat remiss not to make them work for their money and actually organise your press.
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    Yeah Wiggo's comment made me laugh, the timing was perfect. he;s right though. PC always deliver on the interviews, which is what i want to read. CS just either build a story around a bunch of info, or fill the pages with facts and figures that have been used a million times. It really shows the effort going into each mag. CS is a very very poor second to PC. Keep up the good work guys, the Anniversary edition is great! Although i went and read it in a week again!! Got to stop doing that!
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    leguape wrote:
    You think Scott is going allow you access to Columbia riders to answer questions about not being happy with the bikes
    The article by Ellis was vague but I think it's about more than frame geometry, it is about access and whether journalists can ask free questions or if some topics are off limits.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Moomaloid wrote:
    CS just either build a story around a bunch of info, or fill the pages with facts and figures that have been used a million times. It really shows the effort going into each mag. CS is a very very poor second to PC.

Agreed, but I do like the stats section in CS - wins by rider, team, country etc.
  • Jokull
    Jokull Posts: 248
    johnfinch wrote:
    Moomaloid wrote:
    CS is a very very poor second to PC.

Agreed, but I do like the stats section in CS - wins by rider, team, country etc.

Yes, but nowadays you can just go to www.cqranking.com to get all those stats.

I've just taken a break from magazine buying (moved to Australia - they're expensive over here!), but I might start getting Procycling again. I think I can live without Cycle Sport for the moment.
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
    I think the sanitised morsels left for the media are now commonplace in all sports.

Listen to the average David Beckham or Steve Borthwick interview for example.

The idea of 'characters' or 'loose cannons' in sport is one that is being eroded by the need for identikit role models who talk loads but say nothing.

That is why there is a blog culture for me. It is filling the void left by non-interesting press conferences with individuals own take on issues and opinions.
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    Jokull wrote:
    johnfinch wrote:
    Moomaloid wrote:
    CS is a very very poor second to PC.

Yes, but nowadays you can just go to www.cqranking.com to get all those stats.

That's a really cool site but that fact that the Vuelta is worth the same as the Giro means they need to re-evaluate their scoring system.